There may have been times when you felt off balance or stuck in life. Or maybe you felt like the day was dragging on and on and on, and nothing exciting was happening.
If this resonates with you, then it might be time to explore chakra healing techniques to get out of that rut.
As world-renowned speaker Nick Vujicic says, “You will never see your full potential until you seek your full potential.” And that can start with chakra healing.
What Is Chakra Healing?
Chakra healing is a holistic approach to balancing and harmonizing the energy centers in your body. Anodea Judith, the world’s leading chakra expert and trainer of Mindvalley’s Chakra Healing Quest, explains that each chakra is associated with different aspects of your being, from physical to emotional to spiritual.
When these chakras are balanced and functioning well, you feel healthy and energized, enjoy fulfilling relationships, and thrive in life. However, if they’re blocked or imbalanced, you might experience chronic pain, anxiety, depression, or low energy.
That’s where chakra healing comes in. Through practices like yoga, meditation, visualization, and energy healing, you can identify and address these imbalances.
According to Anodea, true healing and transformation come from understanding the deeper psychological and emotional roots of your chakra imbalances. And in doing so, you can develop a daily practice to maintain healthy and balanced chakras, which will then enable you to manifest your dreams.
How to Align Chakras
Balanced and healthy chakras manifest in the harmony of your mind, body, and spirit. This is what chakra alignment is all about: it harmonizes all the chakras in your body and restores the energy flow. Here’s how you can align your chakras:
1. Chakra Meditation
To get the most out of your chakra meditation practice, it’s important to approach healing from two directions:
- The level of cause. To experience lasting relief, it’s essential to address the root cause of your imbalances. This involves any type of meditation that brings your attention to a state of pure awareness, which will then allow you to identify and tackle those issues.
- The level of effects. Once those causes have been identified, you can use chakra meditations to ease the effects of feeling disconnected and out of balance.
Through these two approaches to chakra meditation, you can achieve greater fulfillment, harmony, and overall well-being in your life.
Learn more: A Beginner’s Guide to Chakra Meditation
One of the powerful tools used for chakra healing is affirmations. In short, they’re positive statements that reprogram your mind and install empowering beliefs, habits, and default thinking patterns.
You can try these affirmations for chakras for yourself:
- The root chakra: “I am safe. I am enough as I am.”
- The sacral chakra: “I am in touch with my emotions, feelings, and sensations. I enjoy my sensuality and creativity.”
- The solar plexus chakra: “I am empowered to create the life of my dreams. I am in control of my destiny.”
- The heart chakra: “Love is the answer to everything in life, and I give and receive love unconditionally”.
- The throat chakra: “I speak my truth freely and clearly. I allow others to have their truth.”
- The third eye chakra: “I see myself and others clearly. I am in touch with my intuition.”
- The crown chakra: “I am complete and one with the divine energy.”
Massage is another common technique used for chakra healing. Below are the techniques you can use on each of the chakras:
- The root chakra. Massaging the gluteal muscles, legs, and feet encourages energy flow, better known as prana, in this region.
- The sacral chakra. Doing a myofascial release for the hip flexors helps release tension in the hips and iliopsoas muscle. This allows energy to flow to this chakra.
- The solar plexus chakra. Massage the abdomen area using clockwise directions around the navel. This encourages waste elimination and improves organ functions by bringing about conscious awareness to this personal power center.
- The heart chakra. Massage the area of the upper back, gentle traction to the shoulder joint and arm, and myofascial release to the pectoral muscles to open up this particular energy region.
- The throat chakra. Do gentle neck traction and myofascial release of the fascia tissues that surround the back and front of the neck. Follow it up with a gentle massage to the neck and the base of the head.
- The third eye chakra. Massage using a technique called “brow stripping.” It’s essentially gentle, straight strokes from the midline of the face towards the outer areas. You can use this technique for the muscles in the jaw area, temples, and nasal sinuses.
- The crown chakra. A scalp massage furthers the connection to the crown chakra. Follow it up with gentle hair pulls and cervical traction to release the tension in the neck.
4. Color Vibration
It turns out that your physical and emotional health can be significantly impacted by the colors you surround yourself with. But how does it work?
Each color has its own unique vibration. So when you’re exposed to different colors, it influences the vibrations in your body and rebalances your chakras. The idea is that by incorporating certain colors into your home, diet, and wardrobe, you can virtually improve your overall health and levels of happiness.
Here’s how you can give it a try:
- Paint your walls a calming blue,
- Wear a bright yellow shirt, or
- Eat a colorful rainbow of fruits and vegetables.
As the saying goes, “Life is like a rainbow.” And when you incorporate the colors of it into your life, you may just find you have more balance and energy.
5. Sound healing
Music heals the soul. According to an observational study, sound healing also positively impacts your tension, mood, and overall well-being. And listening to its frequencies can also be an advantage to healing your chakras.
There are two popular techniques you can use:
- Solfeggio frequencies is a type of music therapy that uses specific frequencies to create healing sounds. They’re believed to resonate with the energy centers in our body, helping to release blockages and promote balance.
- The Isochronic Chakra Suite uses brainwave entrainment to stimulate specific frequencies in the brain. It’s combined with Tibetan singing bowls and Solfeggio frequencies, which help create a more immersive and powerful healing experience.
Whichever technique you prefer, incorporating sound healing into your daily routine can have a profound impact on your chakra system, as well as your physical health, emotional stability, and mental clarity.
Learn more: Everything You Need to Know About Sound Healing
6. Professional energy healers
Looking for personalized guidance based on your unique needs and circumstances? A professional energy healer could be an option for chakra alignment.
These healers are trained to examine a person’s energy levels in their chakra system and identify blockages or imbalances. They use various techniques, such as Reiki, crystal healing, or sound therapy, to help you clear blockages and restore the proper flow of energy throughout the body.
On top of that, they can identify the underlying causes of your energy imbalances, creating a safe and nurturing space for you to explore them.
7. Chakra stones
Chances are, you’ve heard of healing crystals. It’s another name for chakra stones.
And each contains specific colors and vibrations. Believe it or not, back in the 1880s, physicists Pierre and Jacques Curie found that crystals could have a minor effect on our body’s energy levels.
As mentioned, every chakra has a specific color. And healing crystals of the same color as the energy center can be used in chakra healing.
For example, the Third Eye Chakra is an indigo color. So a stone that matches it would be amethyst.
With that said, even though the majority of stones of a certain color will be used to heal a specific chakra, there are a few stones that can be utilized to heal multiple chakras, e.g., clear quartz.
Anodea explains that once you learn the system, you can then practice the exercises associated with each chakra to help open, develop, and evolve that particular center. However, when energy, or prana, is stuck, one way that can help release it is through movement like yoga.
Yoga postures have long been recognized as an excellent method for releasing stuck or stagnant energy from the body. This encourages the flow of vital and fresh energy back into the body through breath and postures.
9. Essential oils
Essential oils also form an important part of chakra healing and are generally used in combination with massage techniques. Below is a list of recommended oils for each chakra:
- The sacral chakra: Orange, Neroli, Clove, Juniper, and Rosemary
- The solar plexus chakra: Lemon, Rosemary, Peppermint, Yarrow, and Marjoram
- The heart chakra: Melissa, Rosewood, Basil, and Rose
- The throat chakra: Lemongrass, Sage, and Blue chamomile
- The third eye chakra: Clary sage, Elemi, Spruce, and Lavender
- The crown chakra: Geranium, Myrrh, Gotu Kola, and Sandalwood
Choose the right essential oil and mix a few drops with a carrier oil like coconut, almond, or jojoba to create a massage oil or blend. Use 2-4 drops of essential oil for every 10 mL (2 teaspoons) of carrier oil.
How to Heal the Root Chakra
The root chakra is associated with your basic needs, such as shelter, food, and safety. It also represents your connection to the physical world and the Earth.
Imbalances, however, can manifest as disconnection from our bodies or from nature. So the main challenge for the root chakra is survival.
- When the chakra is balanced: You feel grounded and secure.
- When is imbalanced: You may experience fear, anxiety, and a sense of instability.
To heal the root chakra:
- Regularly ground yourself and spend more time in nature;
- Practice the following grounding yoga poses, such as Garland Pose, Mountain Pose, and Tree Pose;
- Visualize a red energy ball at the base of the spine and feel its energy connecting you with the core of the Earth;
- Add red-colored elements to your living space like red flowers and allow yourself to wear red without any particular occasion;
- Eat more root vegetables and red fruit and berries, such as cherries, strawberries, red apples, and watermelon;
- Wear red jasper as a piece of jewelry;
- Find ways to create a sense of safety and security in your life.
How to Heal the Sacral Chakra
This energy center is about your emotions, sensuality, creativity, and sexuality.
- When the chakra is balanced: You are able to experience healthy and pleasurable relationships with yourself and others, as well as a sense of creativity and joy in life.
- When the chakra is imbalanced: You may struggle with issues such as addiction, codependency, and a lack of creativity or passion.
The main challenge here, according to Anodea, is to balance your desire for pleasure and gratification with your need for responsibility and self-control.
To heal the sacral chakra:
- Swim in the ocean or lakes, observe free-flowing currents of water;
- Practice hip-opening yoga poses, such as Crescent Pose, Pigeon Pose, Triangle Pose, and Wide-Legged Forward Bend;
- Visualize an orange ball in your sacral area, clearing and balancing your sexuality and creative expression;
- Add orange-colored elements to your living space or wardrobe;
- Wear carnelian, orange calcite, and amber as a piece of jewelry;
- Add orange fruits and vegetables into your diet, such as carrots and oranges;
- Practice self-pleasure rituals and find ways to express your creativity and sensuality; and
- Cultivate emotional awareness to be more in tune with your emotions.
How to Heal the Solar Plexus Chakra
As Anodea mentions in her Mindvalley Quest, it governs your sense of self-worth, the individual will, and the ability to set boundaries and make decisions. So the main challenge of the solar plexus chakra is the development of your personal power and self-esteem.
She explains that evolution is impossible without the individual’s will. “It’s through our will that we choose a new path and create a new direction,” she adds.
- When the chakra is balanced: You feel empowered to pursue your goals.
- When the chakra is imbalanced: You may feel powerless, insecure, or overly self-conscious. It may feel challenging to achieve goals or assert yourself in your personal and professional relationships.
To heal the solar plexus chakra:
- Visualize a bright sun-like energy in your solar plexus area, amplifying your personal power and clearing self-doubt;
- Practice core-strengthening poses, such as Boat Pose, Revolved Triangle Pose, and Side Plank;
- Add yellow-colored elements to your living space or wardrobe;
- Eat yellow fruits and vegetables, such as lemons, pineapples, and bananas;
- Get yourself citrine or yellow topaz to enhance solar energy and attract more abundance in life.
- Cultivate your personal power by defining your authentic values and living in alignment with them.
How to Heal the Heart Chakra
This energy center enables you to experience intimacy and unconditional love, as well as compassion for yourself and others. Above all, it’s about intimacy, which Anodea transcribes as “in-to-me-see.”
- When the chakra is balanced: You’re compassionate, empathetic, loving, and self-loving.
- When the chakra is imbalanced: You may be codependent, jealous, or possessive. It may also manifest as coldness and self-centeredness.
Anodea explains that when you open yourself to being seen as you are and it is seen and understood, it creates intimacy. So the challenge here is overcoming the fear of intimacy and allowing yourself to grieve.
To heal the heart chakra:
- Visualize a green energy ball in your heart center, opening you up to receiving unconditional love, self-compassion, and self-forgiveness;
- Practice heart-opening poses, such as Bridge, Camel Pose, and Wheel Pose;
- Surround yourself with green plants or add some green decor to your living space;
- Incorporate yellow fruits and vegetables into your diet, spinach, broccoli, avocado, and kiwi;
- Wear rose quartz as a piece of jewelry;
- Practice loving-kindness meditation to cultivate more compassion in your life;
- Create your self-love routine;
- Practice deep diaphragmatic breathing; and
- Allow yourself to grieve fully.
How to Heal the Throat Chakra
The throat chakra represents your ability to express yourself freely and creatively and communicate effectively with others.
Unlike creativity in the second chakra, the creativity of the throat chakra is a more conscious kind of creativity. It’s speaking, writing, singing, dancing, performing, and painting—all of the arts that are expressions from the inside out.
- When the chakra is balanced: You have clear and concise communication that comes from your heart and wisdom. You’re creative and a good listener.
- When the chakra is imbalanced: You may struggle to speak your truth and hear the truth of others.
When we realize that everyone has their own truth, we can really live honestly and vulnerably.— Anodea Judith, trainer of Mindvallet’s Chakra Healing Quest
To heal the throat chakra:
- Visualize a celestial blue energy ball in your throat area, cleansing and opening your vocal cords, and purifying your truth;
- Sing, recite poems out loud, practice public speaking, and chant “HAM.” In other words, use your voice to express yourself.
- Practice throat-opening poses, such as Fish Pose, Cobra, and supported shoulder stand and headstand;
- Wear celestial blue clothes and sprinkle some blue colors on your interior;
- Get yourself a pendant with lapis lazuli and wear it close to your throat area;
- Cultivate effective communication and deep listening skills; and
- Speak your truth in the moment.
How to Heal the Third Eye Chakra
This chakra is associated with intuition, clear vision, and inner wisdom. It allows you to see beyond the physical world and access higher states of consciousness.
- When the chakra is balanced: You’re able to pierce through the illusion and see things clearly.
- When the chakra is imbalanced: You may have rigid opinions and be unable to separate fantasy from reality.
It’s not so much about your wounds and your story but about seeing the big picture clearly.— Anodea Judith, trainer of Mindvallet’s Chakra Healing Quest
To heal the third eye chakra:
- Visualize an indigo energy ball in your third eye area, allowing this energy to enhance your clear vision;
- Practice yoga Nidra or the Silva Ultramind System’s techniques like the Mental Screen to access altered states of consciousness;
- Try Tree Pose, Eagle Pose, Child’s Pose, and headstand to stimulate your mind;
- Wear indigo clothes or add some indigo decor to your interior;
- Keep amethyst or clear quartz under your pillow;
- Practice journaling regularly to self-reflect; and
- Try to see the bigger picture in everything you do.
How to Heal the Crown Chakra
The final chakra is your direct access to higher intelligence. Anodea explains that all the lower chakras are the stepping stones to higher consciousness—like the roots of a tree allowing it to grow tall.
- When the chakra is balanced: You feel connected to life and have a divine spark of intelligence.
- When the chakra is imbalanced: You are spiritually skeptical, close-minded, and overly rational.
So the main challenge of the crown chakra is to transcend the ego and the illusion of separation from the divine.
To heal the crown chakra:
- Regularly connect with the divine by visualizing a golden white light shooting from the top of the crown all the way up to the center of the Universe;
- Practice Savasana to learn how to surrender;
- Try Isha Kriya, a spiritual practice taught by Sadhguru, Indian yogi guru and trainer of Mindvalley’s A Yogi’s Guide to Joy Quest;
- Let go of the material possessions you’re attached to;
- Meditate on a regular basis; and
- Read spiritual texts.
This chakra wants to develop a higher mind, and as you release your attachments, you’re letting go and going into surrender.
From Finite to Infinite
As you go through your chakra healing journey, you go from finite to infinite, becoming whole and living your life in your highest glory.
Most importantly, you’re guided by a higher power and wisdom that’s greater than you, making your body, mind, and spirit re-connected in a cosmic way.
If you aspire to learn this formula for wholeness, Chakra Healing Quest with Anodea Judith is for you.
Thank you, Anodea Judith, for helping me find more inner peace and for bringing a sense of awe, wonder, and beauty back into my life.— Trent Thomason, student of Chakra Healing Quest
This quest has helped thousands of people around the world heal their minds, bodies, and spirits, with over 18,000 success stories. The best part is that you can sample classes from this quest by unlocking your free access.
Featured image generated on Midjourney.