There’s a lot that your solar plexus chakra is responsible for, including your confidence and self-esteem. But what happens when it’s blocked?
You may very well push people around and influence them to get what you want. Or perhaps, you are on the other side of the spectrum, having trouble setting boundaries, asking for what you want, and going out of your way to make others happy.
So what can you do to use this third energy center for your personal power? Here’s the rundown of the solar plexus chakra:
- What Is the Solar Plexus?
- What Is the Solar Plexus Chakra?
- What Is the Solar Plexus Chakra Responsible For?
- When Does the Solar Plexus Chakra Open?
- What Blocks the Solar Plexus Chakra?
- How to Balance Your Solar Plexus Chakra
- Invigorate Your Solar Plexus Chakra
Once you understand the complexity of this chakra, you can unlock your personal power and start living your life from your inner core without seeking validation or approval from the outside.
What Is the Solar Plexus?
The solar plexus is a complex network of nerves and ganglia. It is part of the autonomic nervous system, where your body automatically controls and regulates certain body functions such as heart rate, blood pressure, respiration, and digestion.
The meaning of solar plexus
This area is also known as the celiac plexus. The word ‘celiac‘ is Greek for ‘belly,’ and the word ‘plexus‘ is Latin for ‘braid.’
‘Plexus’ refers to the network of nerves that intertwine like braids, stretching out like rays of the sun. Hence the ‘solar’ part of the name, solar plexus.
Where is it located?
The solar plexus is located in the center of your abdomen. It sits below the diaphragm (the muscle that helps with breathing), right behind your stomach, and in front of your aorta (the largest artery in your body).
What is it responsible for?
The main functions of the solar plexus include:
- receiving and transmitting pain, reflexes, and other sensory impulses in your gut area
- initiating your fight-or-flight response
- increasing gland secretion and assisting with your digestive movements
- constricting blood vessels and redirecting the blood to your muscle
The solar plexus is responsible for the function of your stomach, kidneys, liver, and adrenal glands. Therefore, pain in this area, or solar plexus pain, could stem from physical to emotional conditions, such as anxiety, gastric issues, respiratory disorders, direct trauma, pancreatitis, and cancer.
When there’s an energy blockage in the chakra of this area, it can affect your solar plexus region. It can show up as physical, emotional, or mental distress.
Once the energy flows naturally, you’ll be able to balance your physical, emotional, and mental state.
What Is the Solar Plexus Chakra?
Imagine you have your own inner sun within you where your abdominal area is – your solar energy point.
This is your solar plexus chakra.
This third energy center is where your power and tenacity manifest. And it is known to be associated with the color yellow and the element fire.
The most common Sanskrit name for the solar plexus chakra is Manipura, which means ‘shining gem,’ ‘city of jewels,’ or ‘seat of gems.’
It is also known as:
- The third chakra
- Solar plexus chakra
- Stomach chakra
- Nabhi (navel)
- The power chakra
According to the research of Dr. Cross, the solar plexus chakra is associated with career, capabilities, and self-esteem. So opening this chakra will help you have the confidence to let go of control and restore your sense of purpose in life.
The symbolism of the solar plexus chakra
The main elements of the solar plexus chakra symbol are:
- A circle with ten petals
- A downward-pointing triangle
The inverted triangle depicts the fire as the transformative power of the chakra where the solar plexus is.
Because it’s the fuel that changes matter into energy, it empowers you to move forward on your path with inner strength and courage.
The ten petals are often represented with the color blue, like the blue color of the flame.
Where is the solar plexus chakra?
The chakra sits in the body’s center at the abdomen, just above your navel, and it is the third energy center. And given its central location, the solar plexus chakra acts as the point of your personal power.
Chakra key elements
- Color: Yellow (or golden yellow)
- Symbol: A circle with ten petals in which is inscribed a downward-pointing triangle
- Original name in Sanskrit: Manipura
- Element: Fire
- Interconnection with body: Digestive system, pancreas
- Solar plexus chakra healing stones: Citrine, tiger’s eye, yellow tourmaline
- Essential oils: Chamomile, bergamot, cedarwood, and rosemary are amongst the most popular soothing oils
What Is the Solar Plexus Chakra Responsible For?
This chakra is the seed of your personal power. It functions as the energy center associated with ego or your self-identity, self-belief, and self-worth. On top of that, it’s the foundation of your self-reliance.
With the balanced solar plexus chakra, you trust your inner guidance without any doubt and follow your intuition without hesitation.
And what’s more important, you don’t feel the need for anyone’s approval or validation when it comes to your decisions, small or big.
On a larger scale, you unapologetically and courageously pursue your goals and aspirations in life.
The solar plexus chakra is linked to the following psychological and behavioral functions:
- Expression of will, core values, and virtues
- Intellectual abilities
- Personal power
- Ability to realize ideas and plans
- Ability to master your instincts, thoughts, and emotions
- Self-determination and self-reliance
- Strong boundaries
- Dedication to your path
- Self-trust and inner guidance
- At higher levels, it conveys wisdom
Like a ray of sunshine, the glow of the solar plexus chakra lights your path and warms your body with the glow of self-confidence. And the solar plexus chakra empowers you to follow and not be distracted from your true path.
Keep in mind that personal power doesn’t imply power over others.
Personal power implies self-mastery – the ability to master your thoughts and emotions, overcome any fear, and take appropriate action in any situation with courage and determination.
When Does the Solar Plexus Chakra Open?
The solar plexus chakra plays an important role in the development of personal power. Its main function is to provide actual momentum to move forward and realize personal desires and intentions in the world.
When it comes to balancing the energy center where your solar plexus is located, it’s important to have your personal power and self-reliance in balance with harmonious relationships with others.
When the solar plexus chakra is out of balance, you might be struggling with pursuing your life goals, making decisions, and trusting your inner guidance without seeking validation from others.
Also, imbalances in the solar plexus and its chakra can manifest as excessive control and authority over your environment and people, being manipulative and intrusive.
What Blocks the Solar Plexus Chakra?
When the solar plexus chakra is out of balance, you might struggle to pursue your life goals, make decisions, and trust your inner guidance without seeking validation from others.
Also, imbalances in the solar plexus and its chakra manifest as excessive control and authority over your environment and people.
When blocked, you tend to…
- Feel powerless or victimized
- Pursue validation and acknowledgment
- Misuse your power, impose your beliefs, and manipulate others to meet your interests
- Find it difficult to take action on your dreams
- Have low self-esteem
- Suffer from stomach pains and anxiety
How to Balance Your Solar Plexus Chakra
Your solar plexus chakra is your inner sun that fuels your intentionality, your direction in life, and the actions you are to take to reach your goals. And it significantly impacts your pursuit of social status and self-image.
Ready to heal your solar plexus chakra? Here are a few simple ways to do so.
#1: Third chakra meditation
Specific chakra meditations often use mudras, chakra mantras, and chakra jewelry to help balance and restore the flow of energy. So, give meditation a try to release any stagnant and blocked energy in your solar plexus area.
Here’s how to meditate on your third chakra:
- Bring the energy up from the heart of the earth through your root and sacral chakras
- Allow it to fill in your upper abdomen, igniting your inner sun
- Imagine a ball of golden-yellow energy lighting up your solar plexus area, getting larger with every inhale
- Now, picture this ball of light rotating in a clockwise position, 360 degrees, and getting larger until you feel the slight tingle in your upper abdomen.
- Lastly, recite this affirmation: “I trust my intuition and guidance, and follow it wherever it leads me without question and hesitation.”
#2: Color of the solar plexus chakra
The color yellow is associated with the third chakra. And you should find ways to incorporate this color into your daily life.
Add some yellow clothing to your wardrobe and decorate your workspace with yellow elements. Yellow crystals like citrine, calcite, and heliodor are a great way to elevate your space.
#3: Yellow food
Yellow food is a natural mood enhancer. Bananas, pineapple, mango, oats, and corn contain complex carbs that slow down your digestion and regulate blood sugar spikes.
Also, yellow-colored fruits and vegetables resonate with the color of the sun and its radiant energy. So introducing more sun-like foods is a great idea.
#4: Mantra chanting
Each chakra corresponds to a particular seed syllable called ‘bija,’ reflecting each chakra’s essence. When used in mantra, these syllables help clear and strengthen the associated energy.
The corresponding spoken bija for the third chakra is ‘ram,’ which is considered the seed of the solar plexus. So chanting it helps stabilize this chakra by healing its physical and spiritual aspects.
Mantras can be repeated vocally or sub-vocally while you meditate.
#5: Solar plexus chakra affirmations
Positive affirmations can help you cultivate trust in your personal guidance and power. You can recite them in your mind or loudly when you doubt your decisions or feel powerless.
Examples of positive solar plexus affirmations include:
- “I deeply and completely trust myself.”
- “I am calm, powerful, and confident.”
- “I am ready to pursue my purpose with confidence.”
- “I forgive myself for past mistakes.”
- “I let go of any control and trust my inner guidance.”
#6: Essential oils
Essential oils can help you balance your chakra by elevating your inner state and external environment.
Easy ways to use them:
- Put one drop on your hands and inhale
- Add 5 drops of essential oil to every 10 ml of any base oil. Massage this mixture onto your skin and rub in
- Add 1-2 drops to every quarter-size pump to your favorite lotion
- Add 15-20 drops to a bathtub
Oils for balancing the solar plexus chakra:
- Atlas cedarwood
- Black pepper
One of the best crystals to strengthen your personal power is the tiger’s eye crystal. It’s associated with confidence, inner strength, and vitality.
Some of the benefits include:
- Helps amplify emotional resilience
- Builds a solid foundation for moving into higher consciousness
- Promotes integration of spirituality with physical life
And because this chakra’s color is yellow, you also won’t get it wrong by choosing crystals with that hue such as:
- Golden healer
#8: Solar plexus chakra yoga poses
Explore these yoga poses to help you connect with your solar plexus chakra.
The Boat Pose
The Boat Pose cultivates strength in your inner core. As you hold your body in a V shape, you strengthen the energetic center of your solar plexus. The challenge of this pose is to root down to the earth while extending your spine upwards.
How to do it:
- Sit with your knees bent and feet on the floor
- Place your hands behind your knees, lift the chest, engaging the back muscles as you inhale
- Engage your inner thighs and draw your lower belly in and up
- Tip back on the back of your sitting bones and lift your feet up to about knee height, toes spread out
- Connect to the solar plexus by placing palms skyward, welcoming confidence and healing energy from the universe.
- To go further, straighten your legs
- Stay for two to five breaths; work up to ten breaths
- To come out of the pose, on an exhalation, bring your feet down, and sit with a straight spine, holding on to your legs for a couple of breaths
Reverse Plank Pose
Reverse Plank Pose invites solar energy into your core. It promotes a full-body arm balancing strength and stretches tight muscles.
How to do it:
- Begin in a seated pose with both your legs together extended forward
- Place each hand beside the hips with fingers pointing toward your toes
- Inhale as you lift the chest upwards, straighten the legs, and point the feet
- Allow your head to drop back gently
- Invite the energy of the sun into your solar plexus
- Hold for five to ten breaths
The Dolphin Pose
The Dolphin Pose has a powerful effect on the body. It invigorates the solar plexus region in the core as you bend from the waist. It also helps relieve stress, back pain, and digestion.
How to do it:
- Come onto your hands and knees
- Place your forearms on the floor and your elbows directly under your shoulders
- As you exhale, curl your toes under, lifting your knees away from the floor
- Lift your sitting bones up and lengthen the tailbone
- Straighten your legs and lower the heels towards the floor, engaging your thigh muscles and keeping the lower belly drawn in
- Press your forearms actively into the floor, firming your shoulder blades down onto your back while maintaining space between them
- Lengthen your spine, holding your head between your arms, off the floor
- Hold for five to twenty breaths
The Sun Mudra
The Sun Mudra balances the solar plexus and activates the body’s inner fire. This element corresponds to the solar plexus.
How to do it:
- Begin in a seated position with legs crossed
- Place hands on your thighs or knees, with palms facing upwards
- Close your eyes and become aware of your breathing
- Fold your ring finger, touching the root of your thumb, and press it with your thumb, keeping the other fingers extended
- Using your thumb, apply moderate pressure on your ring finger
- Repeat with the other hand
Invigorate Your Solar Plexus Chakra
The solar plexus sends messages from your abdominal area to your brain. So, if there’s a blockage in this area, physiologically, it causes imbalances in our body.
Focusing your attention on healing this chakra can heal your physical body and overcome indecisiveness, lack of trust in your inner guidance, and low self-esteem.
Most importantly, you will restore your inherent ability to move through life with the inner power and pursue your dreams.
If you want to align your chakras and learn how to use them to elevate your life, join leading chakra expert and energy healer Anodea Judith in her free Unlocking the Healing Power of Your Chakras Masterclass.