Do you push people around? Or influence them to get what you want?
On the other side of the spectrum, do you have trouble setting boundaries? Or do you always find a need to feel needed or make others happy?
If you said ‘yes’ to any of the above, it could very well be that your solar plexus chakra is blocked. So, opening this chakra will help you have the confidence to let go of control and to restore your sense of purpose in life.
But what does the solar plexus chakra represent for you in your life? Here’s everything you need to know about this important energy center.
But first, before we familiarize ourselves with the chakra and its elements, let’s understand the physiology of the solar plexus first.
What Is The Solar Plexus?
The solar plexus is a complex network of nerves and ganglia. It is part of the autonomic nervous system, where your body automatically controls and regulates certain body functions. This includes your heart rate, blood pressure, respiration, and digestion.
What Does ‘Solar Plexus‘ Mean?
This area is also known as the celiac plexus. The word ‘celiac‘ is Greek for ‘belly’ and the word ‘plexus‘ is Latin for ‘braid’.
‘Plexus’ refers to the network of nerves that intertwine like braids. These braids stretch out like rays of the sun. Hence the ‘solar’ part of the name, solar plexus.
Where Is It Located?
The solar plexus is located in the center of your abdomen. It sits below the diaphragm (the muscle that helps with breathing), right behind your stomach, and in front of your aorta (the largest artery in your body).
What Is It Responsible For?
The main functions of the solar plexus include:
- receiving and transmitting pain, reflexes, and other sensory impulses in your gut area
- initiating your fight-or-flight response
- increasing gland secretion and assisting with your digestive movements
- constricting blood vessels and redirecting the blood to your muscle
Because of its location, the solar plexus is responsible for the function of your stomach, kidneys, liver, and adrenal glands.
Therefore, pain in this area could stem from a range of physical to emotional conditions, such as anxiety, gastric issues, respiratory disorders, direct trauma, pancreatitis, and cancer.
In medicine, there’s a procedure called celiac plexus block. The procedure blocks the nerves in your solar plexus area from carrying pain messages to the brain. This stops you from feeling the pain in your abdomen.
However, because we’re talking about chakras, when there’s an energy blockage in the chakra of this area, it can definitely affect your solar plexus region. It can show up as physical, emotional, or mental distress.
Thankfully, you can release your blocked solar plexus chakra and restore its flow of energy. And once the energy flows naturally, you’ll be able to balance your physical, emotional, and mental state.
What Is The Solar Plexus Chakra?
Imagine that you have your own inner sun within you where your abdominal area is – your solar energy point.
This is your solar plexus chakra.
This third energy center is where your power and tenacity manifests. And it is known to be associated with the color yellow and with the element fire.
The most common Sanskrit name for the solar plexus chakra is Manipura, which means “shining gem,” “city of jewels,” or “seat of gems.” It is also known as:
- The third chakra
- Solar plexus chakra
- Nabhi (navel)
- The ‘power chakra’
The Symbolism Of The Solar Plexus Chakra
The main elements of the solar plexus chakra symbol are:
- A circle with ten petals
- An downward-pointing triangle
The inverted triangle depicts the fire as the transformative power of the chakra where the solar plexus is. Because it’s the fuel that changes matter into energy, it empowers you to move forward on your path with inner strength and courage.
The ten petals are often represented with the color blue, like the blue color of the flame.
Where Is It Located?
The solar plexus chakra can be found at – where else – the solar plexus.
The chakra sits in the center of the body at the abdomen, just above the belly button, and it is the third energy center. And given its central location, the solar plexus chakra acts as the point of your personal power.
Chakra Key Elements
- Location: Above your navel and below your sternum, in the solar plexus area; it is the third chakra from the bottom in the traditional system counting seven chakras
- Color: Yellow (or golden yellow)
- Symbol: A circle with 10 petals in which is inscribed a downward-pointing triangle
- Original name in Sanskrit: Manipura
- Element: Fire
- Interconnection with body: Digestive system, pancreas
- Solar plexus chakra healing stones: Citrine, tiger’s eye, yellow tourmaline
- Essential oils: Chamomile, bergamot, cedarwood, rosemary are amongst the most popular soothing oils
What Is The Function Of The Solar Plexus Chakra?
This chakra is the seed of your personal power. It functions as the center of energy associated with ego or your self-identity, self-belief, and self-worth. On top of that, it’s the foundation of your self-reliance.
What does that mean?
Well, it means that with the balanced solar plexus chakra, you trust your inner guidance without any doubt and follow your intuition without hesitation.
And what’s more important, you don’t feel the need for anyone’s approval or validation when it comes to your decisions, small or big.
On a larger scale, you unapologetically and courageously pursue your goals and aspirations in life.
The solar plexus chakra is linked to the following psychological and behavioral functions:
- Expression of will, core values, and virtues
- Intellectual abilities
- Personal power
- Ability to realize ideas and plans
- Ability to master your instincts, thoughts, and emotions
- Self-determination and self-reliance
- Strong boundaries
- Dedication on your path
- Self-trust and inner guidance
- At higher levels, it conveys wisdom
This chakra is called Manipura, or ‘shining gem’ for a reason. It’s represented as being a vivid golden yellow in color. Like a ray of sunshine, the glow of the solar plexus chakra lights your path and warms your body with the glow of self-confidence.
And the solar plexus chakra empowers you to follow and not be distracted from your true path.
It’s important to keep in mind that personal power doesn’t imply power over others. Personal power implies self-mastery – the ability to master your thoughts and emotions, overcome any fear, and take appropriate action in any situation with courage and determination.
Blocked Vs. Activated Solar Plexus Chakra
The solar plexus chakra plays an important role in the development of personal power. Its main function is to provide actual momentum to move forward and realize personal desires and intentions in the world.
When it comes to balancing the energy center where your solar plexus is located, it’s important to have your personal power and self-reliance in balance with harmonious relationships with others.
When solar plexus chakra is out of balance, you might be struggling with pursuing your life goals, making decisions, and trusting your inner guidance without seeking validation from others.
Also, imbalances in the solar plexus and its chakra can manifest as excessive control and authority over your environment and people, being manipulative and intrusive.
When your solar plexus chakra is blocked, you…
- Feel powerless or victimized
- Give your power away in pursuit of validation and acknowledgment
- Misuse your power, impose your beliefs, and manipulate others to meet your interests
- Find it difficult to take actions on your dreams
- Have a low self-esteem
- Suffer from stomach pains and anxiety
When your solar plexus chakra is open, you…
- Have a strong sense of your own power and how to use it in healthy ways
- Admire others with power and influence and choose to emulate people who are
- Want to use your power and influence for good in the world
- Trust your intuition and inner guidance
- Don’t feel need in other people’s confirmation and validation
- Are assertive
- Exert your will in a way that leads to the expected results somewhat effortlessly
- Have harmonious relationships with your surrounding
7 Ways To Open The Solar Plexus Chakra
Remember, it’s your ‘shining gem’’ — your inner sun — that fuels your intentionality, your direction in life, and the actions you are to take in order to reach your goals. And it has a great impact on your pursuit of social status and self-image.
Ready to open your solar plexus chakra? Here are few simple ways to do so:
- Practice yoga
- Eat yellow foods, such as bananas and corn
- Drink herbal teas
- Wear yellow and incorporate yellow accents into your home
- Step out of your comfort zone
- Have confidence when making decisions or speaking up
- Practice mindfulness
How Do You Meditate On The Solar Plexus Chakra?
The solar plexus sends messages from your abdominal area to your brain. So, if there’s a blockage in this area, physiologically, it causes imbalances in our body. Similarly, if there’s a blockage in the chakra in this area, it causes imbalances as well.
By focusing your attention on healing this chakra, you can overcome indecisiveness, lack of trust in your own inner guidance, and low self-esteem.
Now, let’s begin. Here’s how to meditate on your third chakra:
- Bring energy up from the heart of the earth through your root and sacral chakras
- Allow it to fill in your upper abdomen, igniting your inner sun
- Imagine a ball of golden-yellow energy lighting up your solar plexus area, getting larger with every inhale
- Now, picture this ball of light rotating in a clockwise position, 360 degrees, and getting larger, until you feel the slight tingle in your upper abdomen.
- Lastly, recite this affirmation:
“I trust my intuition and guidance, and follow it wherever it leads me without question and hesitation.”
Specific chakra meditations often make use of mudras, mantras, and chakra jewelry to help balance and restore the flow of energy.
So, give meditation a try to focus your efforts and release any stagnant and blocked energy in your solar plexus area.