You may have heard of the third eye chakra, but do you really know what it is?
It’s a small but mighty energy field located in the center of your forehead, often associated with the pineal gland. Sure, it may be small, but as they say, size doesn’t matter. And in this case, that’s definitely true.
The third eye chakra is a powerful gateway to higher consciousness and spiritual enlightenment. It’s the key to unlocking the mysteries of the Universe and accessing your innermost wisdom.
So if you’re looking to deepen your spiritual practice, this is definitely an energy center worth exploring. And here’s where you can start:
- What Is the Third Eye Chakra?
- Why the 6the Chakra Needs to Be Open
- Signs of Blockage or Imbalance in the Third Eye Chakra
- How to Open the Third Eye Chakra
Think of the third eye chakra as a spiritual truth detector. By opening and balancing this energy center, you’ll cut through the illusion with the ability to see beyond surface-level appearances and tap into deeper truths about yourself, others, and the world around you.
What is the Third Eye Chakra?
The third eye chakra, also known as the Ajna chakra, is the sixth chakra in the body’s energy system. It’s located at the center of the forehead, between the eyebrows—the very reason why it’s often linked to the pineal gland, located close to this area of the brain.
The third eye chakra’s meaning is associated with intuition, divine insight, and spiritual awareness. It’s the center of your spiritual vision and a gateway to higher consciousness.
According to Anodea Judith, the world’s leading chakra expert and trainer of Mindvalley’s Chakra Healing Quest, it’s the third eye that enables you to see the ultimate nature of reality beneath the surface of things. It’s why it’s a transpersonal energy center, as it goes beyond your personality.
“It’s not so much about your wounds and your story,” she explains. “It’s about seeing the big picture clearly.”
What color is the third eye chakra?
Indigo, a dark blue color of the night sky, is associated with the third eye chakra. This color is traditionally connected with intuition, wisdom, and spiritual insight, all of which are qualities of this energy center.
Additionally, the color indigo is located at the center of the visible light spectrum, between blue and violet. It’s much like the third eye chakra, which is located in the center of the forehead, between the eyebrows.
The third eye chakra symbol
The traditional symbol of the third eye chakra is a two-petal lotus flower, representing the duality of the physical and spiritual worlds. The connection between the two is represented by a downward-pointing triangle inside the flower.
Another symbol that has been used in various cultures and regions is the pinecone symbol, often associated with the pineal gland or third eye chakra.
- In ancient Sumeria and Egypt, as well as in Hinduism and Buddhism, the pinecone was a symbol of enlightenment and spiritual awakening.
- In Greek mythology, it’s associated with the god Dionysus and represents regeneration and fertility.
- In Christianity, it’s a symbol of spiritual growth and resurrection, often depicted in Christian art and architecture.
Many religions and philosophical theories may view the pineal gland as the “seat of the soul,” through which one can access higher states of consciousness. However, science sees it as one of the hormonal glands in the body.
Yet, they do agree that the pineal gland has certain unique characteristics of being a single small structure situated deep in the brain. It is highly vascular, and blood flows through it more than any other gland in the human body.
These peculiarities make it more than an ordinary endocrine gland and warrant further exploration by scientists.
Why the 6th Chakra Needs to Be Open
The third eye chakra plays a crucial role in spiritual growth and development as it links your human mind with other levels of perception, allowing you to access higher and deeper truths.
When it’s open and balanced, you perceive things from a higher perspective without losing your connection with reality. So even if you aren’t actively looking for enlightenment, a healthy and balanced third eye chakra ensures sharp intuition, creativity, good focus, and memory.
Most importantly, it’s the portal to a greater sense of inner peace and a deeper understanding of your purpose and mission in the world. And ultimately, it unlocks higher levels of consciousness and spiritual awareness.
Signs of Blockage or Imbalance in the Third Eye Chakra
According to Anodea, blockages or imbalances in chakras have to do with either excessive or deficient chakra:
- The excessive third eye chakra is overloaded with psychic input, and unable to separate the truth from the fantasy.
- The deficient third eye chakra is oblivious to what’s around you. You deny your intuition and are highly opinionated.
From a spiritual perspective, when your third eye chakra is out of balance, you can’t see the interconnectedness of all there is and your place in the world.
On a physical level, it can lead to a range of physical and emotional symptoms, such as:
- Headaches or migraines,
- Blurry vision or sensitivity to light,
- Insomnia or other sleep disorders, and
- Anxiety or depression.
One of the major signs is a lack of clarity or direction in life, as well as a lack of imagination or creativity.
How to Open the Third Eye Chakra
Anodea explains that opening this energy center implies learning to see yourself and others clearly.
It’s about self-reflecting and examining your own life without judgment and seeing the light in yourself and others.— Anodea Judith, trainer of Mindvalley’s Chakra Healing Quest
When the third eye chakra is balanced, you’re perceptive, intuitive, and have vivid imagination and visualization skills. On the other hand, a deficient or excessive third eye chakra can lead to living your life in illusion.
It can be something that you think “should be” rather than seeing “what is.” And this is what can prevent you from seeing the light and the beauty in yourself, others, and the world around you.
So, overcoming this illusion will give you a clear perception, a spiritual awakening, and deep insight into your life and the nature of reality.
This is why regular self-reflection is a must if you want to open and develop your third eye chakra. Here are a few practices that you can add to your spiritual practice:
Chakra meditation is one of the most effective ways to open the third eye chakra. You can also incorporate mudras and chakra mantras into your meditation.
How to do it:
- Focus on the area between the eyebrows, visualizing an indigo light or lotus flower.
- Let this light spread all around your brain, clearing judgments, rigid opinions, and pictures about yourself and the world.
- Affirm to yourself, “I see clearly. I am open to seeing the world from a higher perspective.”
Learn more: An Easy Beginner’s Guide to Chakra Meditation
Yoga is a work-in spiritual practice that harmonizes your body, mind, and spirit.
When it comes to opening your third eye chakra, certain yoga poses can help you calm your mind, improve focus, and enhance your inner sight. Eagle Pose is one of the best postures for this energy center, according to Anodea.
How to do it:
- With your feet hip-width apart and your arms by your sides, start out standing at the front of the mat.
- Lift your right foot off the ground and cross it over your left thigh, placing your right foot behind your left calf.
- With your left foot hooked behind your right calf, cross your left leg over your right leg. Begin by bending your left knee just a little.
- Place your right arm on top of your left arm as you extend your arms in front of you.
- Bring your forearms parallel to the ground while bending your elbows.
- Bring your palms together with your fingers pointing up and cross your left arm across your right arm.
- Lift your elbows to shoulder height while bringing your shoulder blades down your back.
- Hold the pose for several deep breaths, focusing on your energy on the third eye area, then release and repeat on the other side.
Learn more: Want a Powerful Energy Boost? Try This Simple Morning Yoga Routine
3. Chakra stones and gems
In her book Wheels of Life: A User’s Guide to the Chakra System, Anodea recommends using stones, crystals, and gems as a complementary tool for chakra healing.
Stones, crystals, and gems that share the same color, energy, and properties relate to each chakra, so they can be placed on or near the chakra center. You can also wear them as jewelry.
The best stones for this energy center are lapis lazuli, aquamarine, moonstone, amethyst, purple fluorite, and clear quartz crystal.
Incorporate indigo into your clothing and home decorations, like candles with deep blue colors. It helps enhance the energy of the Ajna chakra and be more mindful of it during the day.
This chromatic power extends to foods as well, such as:
- Blue-colored fruits and vegetables, such as plums, eggplant, blueberries, and purple cabbage, are healthy and beneficial for this energy center.
- Power foods like fatty fish, packed with Omega-3 fatty acids, can help you keep your brain active.
Sandalwood, juniper, rosemary, clary sage, vetiver, and frankincense will help draw your attention and healing energy to the chakra.
Here’s how to use essential oils to open your third eye chakra:
- Choose the right essential oil and mix a few drops with a carrier oil like coconut oil, almond, or jojoba to create a massage oil or blend. Use 2-4 drops of essential oil for every 10ml (2 teaspoons) of carrier oil.
- Apply the diluted essential oil to the third eye area, the temples, the base of the skull, or the soles of the feet.
Your Formula for Wholeness
The third eye chakra is just one of the seven main chakras in your body. Think of it as the ascension process—you can’t skip the lower chakras to reach the top. Even with the wide-open sixth energy center, you may struggle with other challenges in life because your spiritual growth isn’t linear.
This is why chakra healing is a holistic approach that focuses on every energy center to make you whole by connecting your body, mind, and spirit in a cosmic, orderly way.
And if you aspire to learn how to apply this formula to your life, Chakra Healing Quest with Anodea Judith can offer you a step-by-step 35-day journey into the deepest core of yourself.
The best part is that you can sample classes from this quest by unlocking your free access.