Chakra mantras have some incredibly powerful benefits.
Imagine a chakra as an instrument and the mantra as a tuning fork. You strike the tuning fork, and the instrument will come into vibrational resonance with it, clearing out any energies that do not share the same resonance.
The sounds of specific mantra chanting cause the left and right hemispheres of the brain to synchronize. It also helps oxygenate the brain, reduce your heart rate and blood pressure, and create calm brainwave activity.
How can you unlock these powerful benefits of chakra mantras?
Here’s what you need to know:
- What Are the 7 Chakras?
- What Are the Mantras for Each Chakra?
- How to Use Mantras for Chakra Healing
- Five Seed Mantras
- Get Started With Energy Healing
Learning how to chant chakra mantras will harmonize your overall health, improve your vocal abilities, change brain patterns and even elevate your consciousness.
Ready to begin?
What Are the 7 Chakras?
The seven main chakras are:
- Mooladhara Chakra: The Root Chakra
- Swadhisthana Chakra: The Sacral Chakra
- Manipura Chakra: The Solar Plexus Chakra
- Anahata Chakra: The Heart Chakra
- Vishuddhi Chakra: The Throat Chakra
- Ajna Chakra: The Third Eye Chakra
- Sahasrara Chakra: The Crown Chakra
The chakras are the organizational centers that receive, assimilate and express this energy at different levels.— Anodea Judith
What Are the Mantras for Each Chakra?
Each chakra corresponds to a particular seed syllable called ‘bija.’
They can be used to create mantras where spoken bijas are chanted out loud to resonate with the chakras.
These syllables reflect each chakra’s essence and help clear and strengthen the associated energy.
Studies show that chakra mantras restore your natural, resonant vibration, a state of good health.
Here are the seven mantras corresponding to each chakra.
#1: LAM – Root chakra
Chanting this mantra will cleanse impurities that can collect in the root chakra and clear any blocked energy that is prevented from moving through to the other six main energy centers.
It also opens you up to feelings of security, prosperity, and belonging.
Chant “LAM” if you…
- Have low levels of energy
- Struggle financially
- Suffer from low self-esteem
- Experience adrenal fatigue and other stress-related ailments
#2: VAM – Sacral chakra
“VAM” is the cleansing mantra for your sacral chakra, associated with pleasure and creativity as well as sexuality.
Healing this chakra will open you up to others, give you the courage to express yourself, and embrace change.
Chant “VAM” if you…
- Have a poor self-image
- Find it hard to open up in relationships
- Feel unsatisfied sexually, or suffer from low libido
#3: RAM – Solar plexus chakra
This is the cleansing mantra for your solar plexus chakra, the seat of your personal power. Chanting it will increase your self-esteem, confidence, and self-assurance.
Chant “RAM” if you…
- Find it difficult to stand up for yourself
- Experience negative impulses and have low self-control
- Feel powerless
#4: YAM – Heart chakra
This is the cleansing mantra for your heart chakra. You give and receive love through this energy center.
It helps you heal both the physical heart and the spiritual (emotional) heart center and open you to unconditional love and compassion.
Chant “YAM” if you…
- Feel undeserving of love
- Lack compassion for yourself and others
- Struggle with relationships
#5: HAM — Throat chakra
This is the mantra to unblock your throat chakra, your physical and spiritual voice.
The throat chakra governs your ability to express yourself. The vibrations of “HAM” will open your throat chakra to strengthen your ability to communicate your truth.
Chant “HAM” if you…
- Find it difficult to voice your needs and desires
- Close yourself off to opportunities
- Tell lies or don’t speak your truth
#6: AUM (or OM) — Third eye chakra
This mantra opens your third eye chakra, which is at the center of your forehead and is directly in line with the center of your brain.
While “OM” is one of the most common mantras and can be used for a wide variety of mantra meditations, it is essential to your third eye chakra, the seat of your intuition and life purpose.
Chanting it will allow you to listen to your inner wisdom and use that wisdom to chart the best course for a life of purpose and passion.
Chant “OM” if you…
- Operate mostly from your rational mind
- Mistrust your inner wisdom
- Feel restricted or stuck
#7: AH — Crown chakra
This mantra is designed for the crown chakra, your connection to the divine.
Chanting it represents a release. Think about taking a deep breath, then letting it go — this is the sound “AH.”
Chant “AH” if you…
- Feel insignificant and disconnected from spirit (Universe/Source/God)
- Have a strong attachment to possessions, relationships, and the physical world
How to Use Mantras for Chakra Healing
Using mantras for chakra healing is a meditative practice of mindfulness and active listening to your body and the sounds.
Once you pick up your mantra, here’s how to chant it:
- Find a quiet place for your mantra meditation
- Sit comfortably with your spine straight
- Take a few deep breaths, becoming aware of your breathing
- Start chanting the chosen mantra, using a natural tone of your voice
- Let the sound rollout slowly for the duration of each breath
- As you chant the mantra, focus on the corresponding chakra
- You can also chant all seven mantras, starting at the base and moving to the top, or vice versa
4 ways to open chakras
Chakra meditation can help you open your chakras and clear blocked energies. You can focus on one chakra at a time or all seven chakras. Having chakra meditation as part of your daily practice is a great way to restore your energy centers.
You can do it in the morning to set yourself up for a day, or in the evening.
#2: Chakra jewelry
You can wear chakra jewelry such as bracelets or pendants in your daily life or use it for your meditation practice alone. Crystals used in jewelry are as potent as raw crystals, positively affecting your chakras.
If you wear it often, make sure you cleanse and charge them regularly.
#3: Essential oils
There are numerous benefits of essential oils for your wellbeing and overall health. They help boost your move and elevate stress and anxiety.
Essential oils work well both with your inner state and external environment. They are versatile and easy to use.
How to use essential oils:
- Put one drop on your hands and inhale
- Add 5 drops of essential oil to every 10 ml of any base oil. Massage this mixture onto your skin and rub in
- Add 1-2 drops to every quarter-size pump to your favorite lotion
- Add 15-20 drops to a bathtub
Chakra yoga poses can help you achieve mental, spiritual, and physical balance. They are designed to balance your chakras by restoring their natural energy flow.
Here are some essential yoga poses for each chakra:
- Root chakra: Mountain Pose, Tree Pose
- Sacral chakra: Revolved Triangle Pose, Goddess Pose
- Solar plexus chakra: Boat Pose, Downward-Facing Dog
- Heart chakra: Low Lunge, Camel Pose
- Throat chakra: Easy Pose (with chanting), Supported Shoulderstand
- Third eye chakra: Dolphin Pose, Lotus Pose
- Crown chakra: Corpse Pose, Lotus Pose
Five Seed Mantras
If you’re not ready to focus on a specific chakra, the basic mantras (called seed mantras) have been universally used in meditative practice to harmonize one’s energy.
- OM: This is the most well-known and universal seed mantra, representing the sound of creation that causes energy to gather and flow upward and outward. OM is the mantra of acceptance and ascension. It helps you accept your higher self and allow energy to flow openly and freely through you. It also serves as a gathering mantra, gathering your inward energy and preparing your energy for movement.
- KRIM (pronunciation “kreem”): Chanting this mantra stimulates your lower chakras to awaken and purify your body
- SHRIM (pronunciation “shreem”): It’s associated with the head and the third eye. It promotes bodily and spiritual health and can be used to bring beauty and happiness to one’s senses.
- HRIM (pronunciation “hreem”): This mantra holds powers of healing and creativity. Chanting this mantra awakens compassion and purifies the heart.
- HUM (pronunciation “hoom”): This sound evokes the breakdown of negative feelings and spreads positivity and vitality through the body.
Don’t worry about using all of them – you may be very ‘energetically healthy’ in some respects and not so much in others.
Just read the list, choose the one you intuitively feel you need, and use it to begin your meditation.
Get Started With Energy Healing
Each chakra, or energy center, contains habitual patterns, or ‘programming’, enabling our life force to interact with different physical, emotional, mental, sexual, or spiritual energies.— Anodea Judith, leading chakra expert and Mindvalley’s trainer of Chakra Healing Quest
When you chant chakra mantras, you tap into a field of all possibilities beyond these patterns.
Chakra mantras help you clear your energy pathways so you can thrive, not just survive — allowing you to make the most of your physical life experience, creating positive physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual change.
If you want to learn how to use chakras to elevate your life, join leading chakra expert and energy healer Anodea Judith in her free Unlocking the Healing Power of Your Chakras Masterclass.