A goal statement is the North Star that guides us on our path and helps us find our purpose. Let’s explore what makes a great goal statement and look at some examples.
In this article, you will discover what a goal statement is and how to write your own.
How Do You Write A Goal Statement?
Start by asking yourself:
- What is it I really want?
- What would truly make me, and the people I love, happy?
- Envision your ideal life.
- Ponder what keeps you up at night.
- Analyze your deepest desires.
Put your focus on what you want to experience, how you want to grow and what you want to contribute to the world. Your goal statement should bring into reality what drives you the most.
The more intensely you want an outcome, the more likely you are to achieve it.
What Is A Smart Goal Statement?
A smart goal statement is:
How To Use SMART To Write Your Goal Statement
- Specific. Your goal should be specific and clear. Ask yourself the 5 “W” questions:
- What do I want to accomplish?
- Why is this goal important?
- Who is involved?
- Where is it located?
- Which resources or limits are involved?
- Measurable. The importance of having a measurable goal is that it helps you to track your progress which keeps you focused, holds you accountable and allows you to enjoy the excitement of getting closer to achieving your goal.
- Achievable. A successful goal is attainable and realistic. It should push you to grow but still remain possible.
- Relevant. This makes sure that your goal is one that actually matters and is worthwhile to you.
- Time-bound. This is where the importance of having a deadline comes into play. This is what strengthens your focus.
Strengthen Your Goal Statement By Incorporating Your Personal Values
If your goal statement is your North Star, your personal values are your moral compass. They fuel you to create meaningful goal statements. They are often deeply influenced by the challenges that you have faced in life.
Here are a few examples of personal values:
Any positive characteristic of yours could be a personal value. These values are the fuel that can help you to realize meaningful goal statements.
Examples Of Inspiring Goal Statements
My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humour and some style.
— Maya Angelou
I have come to this planet to learn to love myself more, and to share that love with all those around me.
— Louise Hay
What Is A Career Goal Statement?
A career goal statement is the vision of where you want to be in your career, put into words. It drives your focus to the specific direction and path you need to take to manifest your career dreams.
He believes that if you pick a job that speaks to your soul, one that makes you feel like you’re contributing to a bigger cause and helping push forward the human race, every day will be exciting.
And the idea of “work” will not be the same for you. Work, instead, will be something that gives you meaning, helps you grow and helps you contribute.
Visualize the big picture now, write it out, imagine every detail and then watch your dreams unfold.
Have you crafted your ideal goal statement? Write it in the comments below!