Oh, the teenage years! The fun and new experiences — we’ve all been there. And more so, we’ve all encountered, as teens, unrealistic expectations, thoughtless comments, and conflicting messages.
The good news is that now there are so many educational resources to counter the difficulties of teenagehood, such as practicing self-esteem-boosting affirmations for teens.
You can learn to use this powerful practice to boost your self-confidence if you’re a teen. And if you’re a parent of a teen, then you can learn this tool to help them through these formative years.
Here’s what you need to know to start using positive affirmations for teens:
- What Is a Positive Affirmation?
- How to Use Affirmations for Teens: Tips from Christie Marie Sheldon
- 50 Affirmations for Teen Self-Esteem
Through proper self-care, being true to your values, and using affirmations for teen self-esteem, you can create the self-talk that helps you cope with difficult situations and challenging behaviors of others.
What Is a Positive Affirmation?
Positive affirmations are uplifting thoughts and statements we tell ourselves to raise our self-esteem and boost our confidence.
These statements are affirmative, inspiring, and often offer a concrete declaration of how we wish to view the world, ourselves, or our circumstances.
Using them can lead to building a circle of positive energy and attract likely outcomes. The trick is to find the positive affirmations that work best for you.
How to write a positive affirmation
You are the master of your life and you know what you need to hear to get yourself motivated. So when it comes to positive affirmations for teenagers, the best thing you can do so that you have them all personalized.
Here are a few tips to help get you started:
- Identify negative beliefs. What beliefs do you have that are currently holding you back? See if you can identify any recurring negative thoughts or beliefs and write them down.
- Challenge the negative beliefs. Write down values that counteract the negative belief. This will be the foundation of your new affirmation.
- Write in the present tense. Make your statements positive, in the present tense, and in the first person.
- Keep it short. The shorter and more concise your affirmation is, the more powerful it will be.
- Give it impact. An effective affirmation is impactful. Fill it with positive, beautiful language that inspires you.
Next time you struggle with low self-esteem, you can instantly grab your journal and quickly draft some affirmations to lift you up.
How to Use Affirmations for Teens: Tips from Christie Marie Sheldon
Just like negative self-talk, positive statements stick with repetition. So choose up to three self-esteem reinforcement phrases at a time and customize them to your unique life circumstances.
One tip to keep in mind when working with affirmations is clearing up your abundance blocks before you want to instill more beneficial beliefs into your subconscious mind.
Christie Marie Sheldon, who’s also the trainer of Mindvalley’s Unlimited Abundance Quest, emphasizes the importance of identifying the limiting beliefs we have, dissolving them, and replacing them with affirmations that support our growth.
If you pay attention consciously to what’s going on inside you, to what you’re thinking, you can actually change your world.— Christie Marie Sheldon, intuitive healer and bestselling author, trainer of Mindvalley’s Unlimited Abundance Quest
Here are a few things to keep in mind that Christie recommends:
- The best times to use positive affirmation are at the beginning and end of your day. Try repeating them before you get out of bed in the morning, or while you’re brushing your teeth at night. This is a great way to use affirmations for students, as it can reduce anxiety before an exam, for example.
- As long as you repeat your affirmations at the same time each day, they’ll soon become a habit. They can now become part of your everyday self-love practice.
- How many times should you repeat your chosen phrases? As many times as you like, for sure. But keep this in mind: quality over quantity. If you just mindlessly repeat your affirmation without stopping to really dwell on what it is you’re saying, they won’t be nearly as effective.
- See, sense, and feel into your affirmations.
- Be specific on what you want to manifest with your statements. Give the energy you’re instilling in your subconscious mind a clear direction. It will make it more powerful.
Soon enough, the affirmations will begin to take hold in your life. And the results will amaze you.
50 Affirmations for Teen Self-Esteem
If you’re new to this practice, it can be quite intimidating. So to help you kickstart, here are examples of affirmations for teens to boost confidence and make the most out of your teenage experience:
1. The more I like myself, the more others will like me.
2. I am becoming better with each day.
3. I am happy to be here.
4. I have people who care about me and will help me if I need them.
5. I will ask for help if I need it.
6. I am always learning more about who I am and what matters to me.
7. I understand that my actions become habits, so I will try to do the right thing.
8. I love and respect my family for all they do for me.
9. I am an intelligent being, but I don’t know everything.
10. I am proud to represent the values that matter to me and my community.
11. I love myself.
12. I feel lucky to have the opportunities that I do.
13. My dreams are achievable.
14. The only people who may be judging me are the people who are most afraid of being judged.
15. In five years, it will not matter what I wore today.
16. In 15 years, the only thing that will remain is what I have learned.
17. My first love will probably not be my only love, and I’m ok with that.
18. People can be mean, but it only reflects the kind of person they are.
19. I am happy. Who else am I trying to please?
20. I accept and love the way I look without comparing myself to others.
21. A six-pack does not need to be standard. In either form.
22. I am completely unique, and therefore, there are no rules to what I am and am not.
23. I give myself permission to do what is best for me.
24. I admit that I may not always know what is best for me, so I am open to advice from people I respect.
25. I do not need drugs or alcohol to have fun.
26. I do not need to share every personal detail with my entire social network.
27. I am responsible with my technology.
28. My opinion matters.
29. I acknowledge that sometimes it is not appropriate to voice my opinion.
30. I care about what is going on in the world.
31. I can say no, and no will mean no.
32. I stand up for myself because I matter.
33. I love myself unconditionally.
34. I see the beauty in stopping to appreciate my blessings.
35. I am not in a race; there is plenty of time.
36. Reputation is important, but it is not defining.
37. My friends are not always right.
38. I am not lost; I’m still creating myself.
39. When there is a bump in the road, I keep going.
40. If someone tries to bring me down, it means I am above them.
41. I have all the tools to be successful.
42. Though times may be difficult, they will eventually get better.
43. I do not regret yesterday and I am excited for tomorrow.
44. This is only the beginning.
45. I will do better next time.
46. I haven’t even seen what I am capable of yet.
47. I will savor my youth.
48. I do not wish for age but instead experiences and knowledge.
49. I will do today what I will appreciate tomorrow.
50. I begin my day by affirming the positive and end my day with gratitude.
Maybe you’re done with the whole teenage dirtbag shebang and you really want to shine bright through these special years of your life. Don’t worry, you can still listen to Iron Maiden (or Billie Eilish or Post Malone), baby. Anything that floats your boat. But you can use these affirmations to give you that glow.
Make the Most Out of Teenagehood
First of all, starting your personal growth journey at a young age is already a great step. It’ll help propel you far and forward into an unbelievable life.
And dipping your toes in your own evolution, you’ve also come to the right place. Here at Mindvalley, you won’t only find the best tools for self-development, but you’ll also connect with a like-minded community spread all over the world.
A wonderful foundation for the future ahead is mastering your skills for abundance. Through the Unlimited Abundance Quest, you can start building your path toward your craziest dreams and your most desirable life.
Sounds fun? Step into your greatness at Mindvalley. Welcome in.