If there were ever a time to invest in your personal growth, it’s now. Also known as personal development, self-growth or self-improvement, it’s one of the most important buzzwords of our time. Whether you slot it seamlessly into your resume or flaunt it in your Tinder profile, personal growth is the holy grail of all success.
In this article, we’ll explore:
- What personal growth is
- The importance of personal growth
- What causes personal growth
- Examples of personal growth
- Personal growth quotes
- How to make a personal growth plan
- How to continue your personal growth
What Is Personal Growth?
Personal growth is the positive improvement of our skills, knowledge, wisdom, habits, behavior, and personal qualities. Personal development allows you to reach your full potential, be your best self and live your happiest, most successful life.
You can define personal growth as any mental, physical and spiritual transformation. It’s not just about learning–it’s about applying whatever you learn so it becomes part of who you are.
Here at Mindvalley, we believe that your personal growth should always come first. After all, it’s through personal growth that we’re able to show up in the world as the most extraordinary version of ourselves.
According to Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, self-actualization, aka personal growth, leads to the highest form of human fulfillment. Sure, we need to breathe, eat, sleep and have a social network around to keep us sane and safe. But if you want to explore your limitless potential, you’ll need to explore the last step of the pyramid. And once you do, you’ll discover that self-actualization enhances the way you enjoy all other aspects of the triangle too.
Personal growth can make you a sort of Buddha, but a badass at the same time. Peaceful, but highly productive. It can make you kind, but resilient. Loving, but assertive. Healthy, but with the fun-loving nature of a child.
Personal growth can improve your relationships, career prospects, spirituality and mental and physical health to name a few.
The true beauty of personal growth is that the possibilities are infinite. Whatsmore, you can grow towards your goals in whichever way you choose, and personal growth practices act as your trusty fertilizer. And the more you grow, the happier, more fulfilled you’ll be now and in the future.
It’s never, ever too late to start. Whether you’re 8 or 80, you’ve come to the right place. Welcome to the Mindvalley Blog!
What Causes Personal Growth?
Your personal growth is caused by change. Big life events, struggles, new relationships and spiritual enlightenment promote personal growth. Personal growth and development can happen by accident through forces outside your control. That said, it can also happen just as powerfully through deliberate self-improvement.
Just like you’ve grown physically throughout your life, you’ve also grown personally.
Whether you’ve noticed or not, you’ve adapted and grown into different versions of yourself your entire life.
You developed the resilience to leave your mother’s side to go to school. You then learned to share your toys, then your time, then your money. You chose to embrace kindness over selfishness (most of the time). You probably lost someone you love along the way, so you found a way to cope with overwhelming emotions. All this causes personal growth.
But once you get old enough to be self-aware, you’re ready to facilitate transformative learning and personal growth on purpose. It doesn’t just have to come about from pain, suffering and survival. You can facilitate personal growth through reading, therapy, podcasts, and best of all, personal growth courses. Here at Mindvalley, we have lots of personal growth courses and masterclasses for you to try for free.
Why Is Personal Growth Important?
Personal growth is important because it gives you the tools you need to thrive in an ever-changing world. If you want life to get better as you get older, you’ll need to become a better version of yourself. Only personal growth will get you there.
The importance of personal growth goes way beyond polishing your halo. It’s vital if you want to live a happy life. It’s also the key to success in every single area of the human experience.
Personal growth is important if you want to have:
- Healthy, loving relationships
- A baseline of happiness, positivity and wellbeing
- Greater resilience
- Career success
- Long-term financial success
- Motivation and productivity
- A sense of calm in a storm
- A healthy mind, body and spirit
There’s nothing more important than self growth. That’s why here at Mindvalley we’re offering a vast array of personal growth courses that cover all aspects of personal growth. From improving your romantic relationships to clean eating, from entrepreneurship to spirituality, you’ll find everything you need under one roof.
Whatsmore, the world needs you to be the best version of yourself. Because it’s only when you’re the strongest, happiest YOU that you can go out there and help others.
What Are Examples Of Personal Growth?
Examples of personal growth goals include:
- Learning to be more productive at work
- Developing emotional intelligence
- Leading a healthier lifestyle (including food and exercise)
- Forging better relationships
- Learning the art of active listening/public speaking
- Adopting new skills such as learning new languages, instruments, meditation and other artforms
- Boosting your self-esteem and confidence
- Getting wiser with your finances
- Becoming generally more self-aware
- Learning to respond with resilience to challenging circumstances
- Cultivating more inner peace, love, and joy on a day-to-day basis
7 Personal Growth Quotes To Inspire You
1. “The swiftest way to triple your success is to double your investment in personal development.” – Robin Sharma
2. “Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.” – Maya Angelou
3. “Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still.” – Chinese Proverb
4. “Self-enrichment is that act of creating a thousand micro wins, so you can have one macro win.” – Lisa Nichols
5. “It is never too late to be who you might have been.” – George Eliot
6. “The quest for wholeness can never begin on the external level. It is always an inside job”. — Dr. Shefali Tsabary
7. “Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else.” – Les Brown
How To Make A Personal Growth Plan
When it comes to personal growth, actions speak louder than words. So grab a journal and pen, and start your personal growth plan via the following steps:
1. Ask the question: ‘What’s not working?’ Identify what area of your life you’d like to improve. It could be your relationship, your career or your level of health and general wellbeing.
2. Now you know what’s not working, ask yourself the question: ‘What do I want instead?’ It could be an enhanced romantic life, a fitter, healthier body or more emotional resilience.
3. Next, ask yourself what qualities you’ll need in order to manifest your dream. If you want to lose weight, maybe you’ll need motivation and nutrition advice. If you wish to cultivate inner peace, you’ll need to learn how to meditate, etc. That’s where personal growth companies like us come in. We have a vast array of personal growth courses designed to help you grow into the best version of yourself in all areas of your life.
4. Set milestones. Make a promise to yourself that you’ll achieve certain goals by certain dates. Make sure they’re specific, achievable and time-bound. For example, you may want to write a book in the next year. Your milestones may be writing the 1st chapter within 6 weeks, the 2nd chapter within 12 weeks and the 3rd chapter within 18 weeks, etc.
How To Continue Your Personal Growth
You can make sure you’re always growing and developing yourself by:
- Keeping a personal growth journal to record your progress every day
- Finding a mentor
- Reading about whichever area you’ve chosen to work on
- Enrolling in a personal growth course
- Creating a personal growth-oriented morning routine
- Getting an accountability partner to keep you on track
For more information about the stages of personal growth and development and how to insert life-changing personal growth into your day-to-day living, you can watch our 3 Keys to Transformation Mindvalley Masterclass for free.
Led by Mindvalley Founder and personal growth junkie Vishen Lakhiani, in this 90-minute transformation session you’ll receive an in-depth introduction to the world of personal growth.
Covering Life’s 3 Big Pillars as well as the secret key principles you’ll need to supercharge your personal growth, this class is on us.
Click the link below to join the 30,000 Mindvalley students who have already tuned in. We hope to see you there!