Chakras are the energy centers of the body. By activating these energy centers, we can access better physical, emotional, and spiritual health.
Many are familiar with the seven chakra system. But what most people don’t know about is the esoteric 8th chakra.
This hidden chakra has a lot of power. And if you learn how to open this chakra, the results just might astound you.
What do the 7 chakras mean?
Chakras are the energy centers of your body. When properly activated and aligned, they can help you achieve better overall health, be it emotional, spiritual, or physical.
If energy from the chakras becomes blocked, it can lead to illness, chronic fatigue, and more, so it’s important to understand how they work and how to balance them.
But we’re not here to dive into the 7 chakras. Because today, we want to look at something that might be new to you: the eighth chakra.
What Is The Eighth Chakra?
As more and more is being uncovered about the 8th chakra, we’re coming to understand how this previously unknown energy center works.
Deborah King, Author of Mindvalley’s Be A Modern Master Program, knows all about the 8th chakra:
“The 8th chakra is located a foot or two above your head, above your crown chakra. It’s the chakra of divine love and spiritual compassion. It also holds all your habitual patterns of energy you’ve clung to, lifetime after lifetime.”
The 8th chakra belongs to the 12 chakra system — a system that encompasses the traditional seven chakras in the body with five additional chakras located above and below the body.
Why open the 8th chakra?
When you open the 8th chakra, you become instantly more spiritually aware. You also have the opportunity to connect with your higher self.
“The chakras hold the secrets to how you feel about yourself and your world,” says Deborah. “They indicate how you get along with other people, the health of your body, your financial situation, how you make decisions, your spiritual advancement, and access to your spiritual gifts. That’s a lot of effect for something you can’t really see!”
That is a lot of effect for something we can’t see. Which is exactly why learning how to tap into the power of chakras is such an indispensable skill.
What color is the eighth chakra?
The eighth chakra is gold. Its element is the soul.
How To Activate The 8th Chakra With Deborah King
Want to learn how to open your 8th chakra? Deborah King has got you covered.
Step 1. Locating The 8th Chakra
- Take three deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth.
- Next, bring your attention to your base chakra. It’s the root of your energy center, located at the base of your pelvis, represented by a volcanic red light.
- Then, move up to your second chakra, your sacral chakra, located between your base chakra and your navel. It’s represented by a coral orange color. Imagine this color as you focus on the chakra.
- Next, move to the chakra of your solar plexus, located right at the belly button. Dwell on the warm, buttery yellow light of this chakra.
- Your next chakra is located at the heart and is represented by a vibrant, leaf green. Feel this color in your heart chakra and give yourself a moment to sit in that space.
- Next, move up to your thymus, the seat of your spiritual development. This gland is located between your heart and throat chakras. Focus on the thymus. Take a breath.
- Now, move to the throat chakra, represented by a rich, peacock blue color. Concentrate on the throat chakra and feel the energy that dwells there.
- Next, move onto the third eye chakra, located right between your eyebrows. The color of this chakra is penetrating indigo. Breathe.
- Finally, move to the top of your head to access the crown chakra. Let the white gold of the crown chakra radiate from the inside out. Feel the presence of this light.
- Envision a silver cord rising from your crown chakra up into the sky above. This cord is your connection to the higher dimensions. Allow your consciousness to rise up the cord until you hover 2-3 feet above your head.
This is the 8th chakra, the seat of divine compassion and spiritual awakening.
Step 2. Opening The 8th Chakra
Stay here, and focus your attention on this space, 2-3 feet above your head. It might feel strange at first since you likely haven’t spent much time focusing on this part of your energy field. You may begin to feel a tingling in your fingers. You might start to feel lightheaded.
Simply sit and breathe, focusing on the space of the 8th chakra. Meditating on this chakra can put you into communication with your higher self. Many who complete 8th chakra meditations report a sensation of deep and cleansing calm.
Try this meditation with Deborah King and see what it can do for you.
How many chakras are there in total?
Most are familiar with 7 chakras. And today, we uncovered more about the elusive eighth chakra.
But does it all end here? Or are there more hidden chakras to discover?
Some suggest there are many as 12 chakras in the human body.
Hard to believe, but the more you learn, the more you come to understand just how powerful the energy system of the body truly is!
Let’s Get Spiritual
We hope this guide has served you in your journey to a better understanding of the 8th chakra and how to connect to its power.
Having a simple awareness of your crown chakra is not only good news for your physical body, but also for your mind and spirit. It’s often with the opening of the 8th energy center where the magic really begins in terms of spiritual development.
At Mindvalley we know that personal growth of any kind can sometimes feel daunting, especially if you’re growing and transforming alone without the support of those around you. And when it comes to your spirituality, it can feel even more isolating! Spirituality is all about embracing the challenge to go within ourselves for the answers we seek, so it’s often a solo trip.
That’s why we hooked up with the best, most celebrated spiritual teachers on the planet to help guide the way and provide free content to support all of our Mindvalley Tribe. That’s you!
So if you’re starting out your own path to self-discovery and are eager to have your spiritual growth supported in the best way, check out Mindvalley’s Top 3 Free Spiritual Growth Masterclasses next.