The soul star chakra, also known as the eighth chakra, is a powerful energy center located beyond the physical body. It’s the gateway to the spiritual realm and the connection point to the divine essence of the Universe.
As the name suggests, it contains the blueprint of your unique soul’s journey and holds the key to accessing your true purpose as an infinite being. When this hidden chakra is activated, you have a profound sense of unity and interconnectedness with all there is.
If there is a way to expand your consciousness beyond what meets the eye, the soul star chakra can help you do just that.
What Do the 7 Chakras Mean?
Chakras literally mean “wheels,” or the wheels of life—the spinning, spherical energy centers in your body. Anodea Judith, the world’s leading chakra expert and trainer of Mindvalley’s Chakra Healing Quest, defines them as “portals between the inner and outer worlds.” So whatever you do inside transforms the outside.
When your energy centers are balanced, you enjoy vibrant physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health. Your body, mind, and spirit become one. On top of that, you can use your chakras to manifest your wildest dreams.
What Is the 8th Chakra?
In Sanskrit, the eighth chakra is called “Vyapini,” meaning “all-pervading.” It’s often referred to as the “soul star chakra.”
It belongs to the twelve chakras system, which encompasses the traditional seven chakras in the body and five additional energy centers located above and below the body.
In Kundalini yoga, it is known as the aura, the electromagnetic field that surrounds your body. In many ancient traditions, the aura’s main function is to protect you and provide you with an environment within which you can thrive.
From a scientific point of view, auras are like an energy signature surrounding each individual that governs their behavior and way of thinking.
According to Deborah King, trainer of Mindvalley’s Be A Modern Master Quest, it’s the chakra of divine love and spiritual compassion. It also holds all your habitual patterns of energy you’ve clung to, lifetime after lifetime.
Where is the eighth chakra located? This energy center is located a foot or two above your head, above your crown chakra.
Essentially, it’s the connection point with your higher self, other dimensions, and the Akashic Records.
Signs of an Unbalanced 8th Chakra
The eighth chakra is all about your spiritual connection, divine guidance, and higher consciousness. When it’s balanced, you feel divinely guided and connected to your higher purpose.
However, when it’s unbalanced, you may feel lost, confused, and disconnected from your spiritual self. Here are the most common signs of an unbalanced Vyapini:
- Feeling disconnected from your spirituality or higher purpose
- A lack of clarity or direction in life
- Feeling confused about your unique spiritual path
- Feeling out of touch with inner guidance
- Having no higher purpose in life
- Feeling cut off from the spiritual dimensions of reality
- Having a sense of disconnection from others
- Being out of tune with your own body or physical reality
By paying attention to these signs, you can take steps to balance your eighth chakra and take your spiritual level beyond your crown.
Why open the 8th chakra?
When you open it, you become instantly more spiritually aware. You also have the opportunity to connect with your higher self.
“The chakras hold the secrets to how you feel about yourself and your world,” says Deborah. She adds that they indicate…
- How you get along with other people,
- The health of your body, your financial situation,
- How you make decisions,
- Your spiritual advancement, and
- Access to your spiritual gifts.
Unlike the seven chakras that correspond to physical body parts, this chakra affects something we can’t see. This is exactly why learning how to tap into the power of chakras is such an indispensable skill.
What color is the 8th chakra?
Each chakra is associated with a certain frequency and color.
The frequency of the soul star is 1074 Hz, and the color associated with it is golden white. This is why it’s often symbolized by a radiant star of bright white, a sunburst, or a halo of light.
Another common symbol is a white or golden lotus flower with thousands of petals, radiating pure spiritual energy.
How to Activate the 8th Chakra with Deborah King
Activating the eighth chakra can help you access your fullest potential and connect with the divine essence of the Universe. Here are two steps to help you do just that, according to Deborah:
Step 1: Locating the eighth chakra
- Take three deep breaths, in through your nose and out through your mouth.
- Next, bring your attention to your base chakra. It’s the root of your energy center, located at the base of your pelvis, and is represented by a volcanic red light.
- Then, move up to your second chakra, your sacral chakra, located between your base chakra and your navel. It’s represented by a coral-orange color. Imagine this color as you focus on the chakra.
- Next, move to the chakra of your solar plexus, located right at the belly button. Dwell on the warm, buttery yellow light of this chakra.
- Your next chakra is located at the heart and is represented by a vibrant leafy green. Feel this color in your heart chakra, and give yourself a moment to sit in that space.
- Next, move up to your thymus, the seat of your spiritual development. This gland is located between your heart and throat chakras. Focus on the thymus. Take a breath.
- Now, move to the throat chakra, represented by a rich, peacock-blue color. Concentrate on the throat chakra and feel the energy that dwells there.
- Next, move to the third eye chakra, located right between your eyebrows. The color of this chakra is penetrating indigo. Breathe.
- Finally, move to the top of your head to access the crown chakra. Let the white gold of the crown chakra radiate from the inside out. Feel the presence of this light.
- Imagine a silver cord rising from your crown chakra up into the sky above. This cord is your connection to the higher dimensions. Allow your consciousness to rise up the cord until you hover two to three feet above your head. This is the eighth chakra, the seat of divine compassion and spiritual awakening.
Step 2: Opening the 8th chakra
- Stay here and focus your attention on this space, about two to three feet above your head.
- It might feel strange at first since you likely haven’t spent much time focusing on this part of your energy field. You may begin to feel a tingling in your fingers. You might start to feel lightheaded.
- Simply sit and breathe, focusing on the space of the eighth chakra.
Meditating on this chakra can put you in communication with your higher self. Many who complete eighth chakra meditations report a sensation of deep and cleansing calm.
How Many Chakras Are There in Total?
There are seven fundamental chakras in the human body, running from the base of the spine to the top of the head.
In the 12 chakra system, it’s believed that there are six additional chakras to the main ones. Technically, the system features 13 chakras, but the earth star chakra is named chakra 0.
- Chakra 0: The earth star chakra
- Chakra 1: The root chakra
- Chakra 2: The sacral chakra
- Chakra 3: The solar plexus chakra
- Chakra 4: The heart chakra
- Chakra 5: The throat chakra
- Chakra 6: The third eye chakra
- Chakra 7: The crown chakra
- Chakra 8: The soul star chakra
- Chakra 9: The spirit star chakra
- Chakra 10: The universal chakra
- Chakra 11: The galactic chakra
- Chakra 12: The divine gateway chakra
According to Sadhguru, spiritual teacher and trainer of Mindvalley’s A Yogi’s Guide to Joy, there are 114 chakras. He explains that only 108 can actually be worked on, with the remaining four just flowering as a consequence.
“The number 108 has manifested in the human system because it is a significant number in the making of the solar system,” he adds.
So, why only seven are spoken about? Because they represent seven dimensions, which are, in turn, the basis for the seven schools of yoga.
Expanding Your Consciousness Holistically
It’s true that activating the soul star chakra can help you expand your consciousness and tap into the infinite wisdom of the Universe. Yet, it’s the eighth chakra for a reason.
It means that you can’t skip the previous seven to get to the next level. To transcend the limitations of your physical body, you first need to master your physical existence.
This is why the seven chakra system is seen as the formula to your wholeness as a human being. If you aspire to learn this formula, Chakra Healing Quest with Anodea Judith is for you.
Every class, every exercise, and every detail have been a revelation.Victoria Gómez, student of Chakra Healing Quest
This quest has helped thousands of people around the world heal their minds, bodies, and spirits, with over 18,000 success stories. The best part is that you can sample classes from this quest by unlocking your free access.