“In every culture and in every medical tradition before ours, healing was accomplished by moving energy.”
— Albert Szent-Györgyi, Nobel Prize for Medicine Recipient
Energy Medicine is for healing, but it is also for bringing you vitality when you are drained, resilience when you are stressed, and joy when you are down.
I’ve been showing people how easy it is to tune into and regulate their body’s energies for nearly four decades. It’s been a thrilling ride, watching people come alive in ways they never expected.
So What Is Energy Medicine?
Energy is the life force. Keep your life force healthy and it keeps you healthy.
Energy Medicine, in a phrase, gets your energies into harmony and balance. If you are sick or sad, shifting your energies feels good.
Balancing your energies balances your body’s chemistry, regulates your hormones, helps you feel good, and helps you think better.
When you care for your body’s invisible energies, your cells become a cell’s version of happy, all the systems in your body start to hum in tune, and your heart begins to sing.
Energy Medicine has been called the medicine of the future, but it empowers you NOW to adapt to the challenges of the 21st century and to thrive within them.
How Does Energy Medicine Work?
Flow, balance, and harmony can be non-invasively restored and maintained within an energy system by:
- Tapping, massaging, pinching, twisting, or connecting specific energy points on the skin;
- Tracing or swirling the hand over the skin along specific energy pathways;
- Exercises or postures designed for specific energetic effects;
- Focused use of the mind to move specific energies and/or by surrounding an area with healing energies.
Now that we’ve established what energy medicine is, I want to address a question we often get asked:
Does Energy Medicine Compete With Or Complement Western Medicine?
Energy Medicine and conventional medicine can work in a wonderful harmony.
Conventional Western medicine, at its foundation, focuses on the biochemistry of cells, tissue, and organs.
On the other hand, Energy Medicine, at its foundation, focuses on the energy fields of the body that organize and control the growth and repair of cells, tissue, and organs.
To maintain vibrant health, the body needs its energies to:
- Move and have space to continue to move — energies may become blocked due to toxins, muscular or other constrictions, prolonged stress, or interference from other energies.
- Move in specific patterns — generally in harmony with the physical structures and functions that the energies animate and support. “Flow follows function.”
- Cross-over — at all levels; from the micro-level of the double helix of DNA, to the macro-level where the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body and the right side controls the left.
- Maintain a balance with other energies — the energies may lose their natural balance due to prolonged stress or other conditions that keep specific energy systems in a survival mode.
Conversely, when the body is not healthy, corresponding disturbances in its energies can be identified and treated.
By changing impaired energy patterns, we improve the vitality of organs, cells, and psyche through the most efficient, least invasive means.
Healthcare Systems Could Benefit By Embracing Energy Medicine More Fully
Medical technology has become so sophisticated that routine procedures result in what would have seemed like miracles a few decades ago.
Yet, as Michael Moore powerfully demonstrated in his documentary, Sicko, the system is breaking down.
The Western health care system isn’t effective because it isn’t preventative. We don’t step in until after the person is already sick.
Energy Medicine, on the other hand, gives everyone tools that will keep them healthy as a first line for healing.
Energy Medicine traces back to venerable healing and spiritual systems.
In some provinces of ancient China, for example, you paid the doctor when you were well. You didn’t pay if you got sick because the doctor had failed to keep your energies — and therefore your physical body — in a healthy state. The doctor then had to work very hard to get your energies back into harmony so that your body would follow those energies back into health.
While it is not likely that your local hospital will agree to this arrangement, the principle is well worth incorporating. Changes in the physical body are shaped by and follow changes in energy fields and flows.
Christiane Northrup, MD, known for her New York Times bestselling books and many appearances on Oprah, sums up how Energy Medicine can inform and complement conventional medicine:
“In the medicine of the future, as I envision it, working with the patient’s energy field will be the first intervention. Surgery will be a last resort. Drugs will be a last resort. They will still have their place, but shifting the energy patterns that caused the disease will be the first line of treatment. And before that, teaching people how to keep their energies in healthy patterns will be as much a part of physical hygiene as flossing or exercise.”
— Christiane Northrup
More than 1,200 practitioners have, since 2005, completed my Eden Energy Medicine Certification Program. Many of them are making in-roads into conventional medical settings.
Why The Rise Of Energy Medicine?
Here are the reasons why people (including many physicians and health care professionals) are increasingly using Energy Medicine:
- Balance the body’s energies before an invasive medical procedure, prepares the body for a healing outcome, leaves the patient more confident and relaxed, and makes the procedure more likely to succeed;
- Balance the body’s energies after an invasive medical procedure to minimize side effects and enhance recovery;
- Prevent or help overcome challenging illnesses;
- Energy Medicine is simple, pleasant, and non-invasive;
- The body’s energy fields can be restabilized on a regular basis through simple, cost-effective practices;
- Energy Medicine has no adverse side effects;
- Patients are increasingly asking for alternative preventative care and healing methods.
You don’t have to be a gifted healer to start using energy medicine to keep your life force healthy. Keep your energies humming and your body will be functioning at its best.