Forgiveness is one of the most essential keys to opening the door to a happy, healthy life. It enables you to let go of negative emotions and move on toward a brighter future.
Authors, poets, leaders, monks, Gods, and religions have all preached forgiveness. In fact, there is an endless supply of quotes about forgiveness from these figures.
We’ve sorted through the best and created this list of 17 forgiveness quotes by some of mankind’s greatest minds and hearts.
To learn more about the power of forgiveness, how to forgive others (and yourself), and much more, check out our guide on all things forgiveness.
For now, however, prepare to be inspired by these quotes on forgiveness!
17 Inspiring Forgiveness Quotes
1. “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
2. “Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.”
― Mark Twain
3. “Forgiveness is a transformative act because it asks you to be a more empathetic and compassionate person, thereby making you better than the person you were when you were hurt.”
— Kamand Kojouri
4. “Forgiveness is not an occasional act, it is a constant attitude.”
― Martin Luther King Jr.
5. “Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies.”
― Nelson Mandela
6. “To err is human, to forgive, divine.”
― Alexander Pope, Essay on Criticism
7. “True forgiveness is when you can say, ‘Thank you for that experience.’”
― Oprah Winfrey
8. “Dumbledore says people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.”
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
9. “I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded; not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.”
― Khaled Hosseini, The Kite Runner
10. “Forgiveness is an act of the will, and the will can function regardless of the temperature of the heart.”
― Corrie Ten Boom
11. “We are told that people stay in love because of chemistry, or because they remain intrigued with each other, because of many kindnesses, because of luck. But part of it has got to be forgiveness and gratefulness. ”
― Ellen Goodman
12. “Forgiveness has nothing to do with absolving a criminal of his crime. It has everything to do with relieving oneself of the burden of being a victim–letting go of the pain and transforming oneself from victim to survivor.”
― C.R. Strahan
13. “Mistakes are always forgivable if one has the courage to admit them.”
— Bruce Lee
14. “We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies.”
— Martin Luther King Jr.
15. “Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much”
― Oscar Wilde
16. “Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names”
— John F. Kennedy
17. “God has sent you nothing but angels — everyone who has come in your life and done something to wrong you — you can choose to perceive that as an angel doing something to get you to the next level of your evolution”
— Vishen Lakhiani, Founder of Mindvalley and author of Becoming Limitless
Discover the Four Key Stages of Human Consciousness and Learn How to Bend Reality and Make the Impossible, Possible. Sign up for this FREE Masterclass below:
Do you have any forgiving quotes that inspire you? Share any how to forgive quotes with us in the comments section below!