Despite their bodies’ propensity to store fat around the hips and thighs, many of the most alluring women in the world are (or were) endomorphs. Marilyn Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor, Jayne Mansfield, Salma Hayek, Jennifer Lopez, Sofia Vergara – they are only some of endomorph female stars whose full-figured, curvaceous silhouettes and body positivity have redefined what it means to be attractive.
Like them, you too can have a voluptuous, desirable figure. To do so, you need to adopt an exercise regimen that works best for your body type and combine it with a healthy, body type-specific diet.
In this article, we’ll answer all your questions about endomorph body type in women and explain how endomorphic women can shape up their bodies.
What Is Endomorph Body Type?
Endomorph is one of the three main somatotypes (Greek for body types) established by psychologist and researcher William Sheldon almost eight decades ago. His classification organized people into three body types according to their shared genetic physical characteristics.
First, there are ectomorphs who are naturally skinny and can’t seem to gain weight despite their best attempts. On the opposite end, there are endomorphs who add body fat very easily but find it very difficult to get rid of it. Finally, somewhere in the middle, there are mesomorphs, naturally strong, muscular types whose bodies combine the best characteristics of the other two somatotypes.
Endomorphs typically have soft, round bodies with narrow shoulders and wide hips. They tend to be shorter than other body types with relatively short arms and legs. Their things, hips, and upper arms are usually fat, whereas their ankles and wrists are comparatively slim. Characterized by a large frame, stockier build, thicker joints, and not too clearly defined muscles, endomorphs are what you might describe as “big-boned”.
As already explained, endomorph body type has a natural tendency to gain and store body fat. A lot of this stems from their slow metabolisms, which prevent the bodies from efficiently converting calories into energy. Instead, most of those calories are converted into fats and stored on the body. As a result, endomorphs are often hungry not long after eating, which also makes them more prone to weight gains.
What is an endomorph female body type?
When it comes to endomorph body type, female endomorphs have it a tad harder than males.
You see, regardless of their somatotype, women’s bodies store almost four times as much fat as men’s bodies to maintain proper function. While men can get by with just 3% of body fat, women need 12%.
On top of that, female endomorphs tend to store body fat around the hips, buttocks, and thighs, whereas males store all their fat in the belly. That’s because men have a larger frame to support more muscle mass while women have wider hips to allow for pelvic expansion during childbirth.
Due to their fat storage tendencies, women endomorphs are often described as pear-shaped.
How Do Endomorphs Lose Weight?
Endomorphs can lose weight through a combination of dieting and exercise.
As far as diet is concerned, all endomorphs regardless of their gender should cut down their intake of carbohydrates and add more high-quality sources of protein and healthy fats to their diet. Ideally, carbs should make up no more than 30% of your daily calorie intake while the other 70% should be split evenly between fats and protein.
Apart from reducing your daily intake of carbs, you must also replace unhealthy sources with healthy ones. This means that you’ll eliminate processed sugars and simple carbohydrates like white bread, pasta, white rice, and cookies in favor of complex carbohydrates like vegetables, fruits, and whole grains.
Since a healthy diet alone is usually not enough to strip excess fat, you will also need to adopt a good workout regimen. The main goal of the regimen should be to boost your metabolism and thus prevent your body from turning calories into fat and storing them around the hips. You should thus combine weight training with cardio.
Do endomorphs need more cardio?
Cardio is essential for endomorphs as it prevents their bodies from reverting to their natural fat-storing tendencies. For optimal results, you should combine up to 30 minutes of high-intensity interval training two or three times a week with 30 to 60 minutes of steady-state cardio also two or three times a week.
You are what you consistently do. Your habits shape your character.
– Jon Butcher, Author of Mindvalley’s Lifebook Program
To achieve and maintain your body goals as an endomorph, you should make time for cardio almost every day. While that may seem like too much, if you set your eyes set on your ultimate goal – to achieve physical fitness and start feeling good in your body – and put in hard work, you will quickly get used to it.
What is your endomorph cardio routine? Share it with us in the comments below.