When we are born, we have no fears. Why? Because we are connected to the most essential energy through the umbilical cord while in the mother’s womb.
As soon as it gets cut off, this is where you start accumulating your own life force energy, known as dantian. And when you cultivate it, it’s where you can draw your fearlessness.
In essence, dantian cultivation is the art of inner alchemy that can help you reunite with your personal power and the Cosmos as a whole.
What Is the Dantian Energy?
The dantian energy is your body’s core energy, independent of meridians. Though dantian corresponds to several main chakras, they aren’t the same. Think of them as reservoirs of energy, while chakras are gateways.
This energy is fundamental to practices such as Taichi, Qi Gong, and Reiki.
Dantian, or dan tian, means “field of elixir.” When practiced as internal alchemy, it leads to an experience of cosmic oneness.
According to Daoism, it’s a life force itself, known as qi, that’s essential for your health and well-being and supports the development of your body, mind, and soul. As you advance in this practice, you become aware of your physical, mental, and spiritual aspects. At the same time, you experience them as nondual awareness. In other words, you transcend concepts of physical and non-physical and perceive them as one.
This nondual awareness is known as the “mind within the mind” that eventually leads you to experience the unity of all things.
So the process of dantian cultivation is about transforming and refining your qi. When you do so, you unite with the cosmic oneness.
The three dantian
There are three main dantian in the body: the upper, the middle, and the lower dantian. Each one corresponds to a certain chakra in the body:
- The upper dantian is related to the third eye chakra. Its energy is called “shen,” which is more subtle than “qi.” It is located inside the pineal gland.
- The middle dantian is associated with your heart chakra and thymus gland. Its energy is called “qi.” It is located at the center of your chest.
- The lower dantian is considered to be a combination of your sacral chakra and root chakra, corresponding to the kidneys and adrenal glands. It’s the most substantial energy, known as “jing.”
Where is the lower dantian?
The lower dantian is located two finger widths below your navel and parallel to the perineum. This is the area where your primal energy resides.
Jing is similar to Kundalini energy. As the seat of your physical and sexual power, it holds your genetic code, and the gifts passed down to you from your parents and ancestors.
Since it has the root chakra’s energy, it is responsible for your will to survive.
How to Activate the Lower Dantian?
When it comes to any type of energy work, activating the lower dantian is where you want to start. On top of that, it’s through the lower dantian that you cultivate your personal power and fearlessness to accomplish greater things.
There are three methods for activating it:
The Moebius Strip
The Moebius strip symbolizes infinity, representing the oneness of material and spiritual dimensions of reality. When you move your body to mimic this figure, you liberate the shen and the jing energies, bringing them into unity.
How to do it:
- Place your right hand with the palm facing the dantian and bring it towards your abdomen at an angle of 45°.
- Slowly press your hand on your abdomen until you can feel the resistance within the energy center.
- You will feel the magnetic field around your hand and the sphere within the dantian moving slightly to the left.
- Move your right hand away and press with the left hand.
- You will feel the magnetic field move and make the sphere move in the opposite direction.
- Visualize the image of the Moebius strip, choose a point on the strip, and move along it, synchronizing the movement of your body with your hands.
- Continue with this exercise for a few minutes.
This technique is based on deep abdominal breathing. It helps you cultivate more qi and activates your lower dantian.
How to do it:
- Sit in a chair with the spine straight and bring both hands over the lower abdomen.
- Breathe in and out through the nose.
- Exhale all the way out to clear the lungs. At the bottom of your exhale, see if you can exhale a little more.
- Inhale down into the lower abdomen, expanding your belly.
- Exhale and squeeze the air out from the lower abdomen.
- Take a full deep breath down into the lower abdomen.
- During this breathing exercise, keep the chest relaxed.
- As you breathe into your lower dantian, visualize a golden ball of energy growing in your energy center. With each breath, see this light growing brighter and brighter.
- Practice for at least 3 to 5 minutes.
When you think about the dantian, it activates it. In Daosism, this method is called “chang,” which means “to hide the thoughts.”
How to do it:
- Focus your attention on the area of your lower abdomen.
- Visualize a golden ball of energy growing within the area.
- Breathe normally, concentrating on your lower dantian.
- Feel into it, registering any bodily sensations and emotions arising from it.
- Use the golden energy to eliminate stagnant energy or unpleasant emotions within it.
- If your mind starts to wander, bring your attention back to your lower abdomen.
How to Use Your Dantian Energy to Become Fearless
Sometimes, we need the energy of fearlessness to do something unconventional or uncomfortable. According to Miki Agrawal, high-impact entrepreneur and trainer of Mindvalley’s Zero to 100 Million Quest, you can get into the space of fearlessness by tapping into your dantian.
She says, “When you need to step into something challenging, dantian can help you with that.”
She adds that we are born fearless and then learn and acquire our fears as we grow. But you have an energy point right below your belly button, where your authentic power lies.
So, whenever you need to access that power, take your index and middle fingers together, place them on your dantian, and take three long breaths.
From a Fearless Idea to a 100 Million-Dollar Product
When you cultivate your authentic power, you can come to a place where you want to make an impactful change in the world.
It may sound counterintuitive, but stepping into your power doesn’t make you selfish. On the contrary, you will have a burning desire to make a difference in other people’s lives.
Often, we don’t know what to do with our passion and how to turn it into a meaningful product. So here’s what Miki Agrawal can help you with:
- Figuring out what you are passionate about
- Creating your own product
- Building your dream brand
- Marketing and promoting your ideas
If you deeply aspire to make the most impactful change in the world, join Miki on her Zero to 100 Million Quest. You can check out a sample class of the quest by registering at Mindvalley for free.
Images generated on Midjourney.