Feng shui (pronounced as ‘fung shway’) is an ancient Chinese system of balancing and decorating our surroundings in a way that promotes harmony and a sense of well-being.
Feng shui practitioners believe that everything and everyone has a certain energy called “chi,” and chi flows through our environments in different ways. This is why the arrangement of objects in our physical environment can affect our lives: it affects how chi flows through the room.
Even though feng shui principles are very complex, you only need a basic understanding of the principles to start applying feng shui in your home or your workplace.
As the time goes by, you will become more aware of the various practices and you will be more aware of all the ways to create a better quality of energy in any space. If you are just starting out with feng shui, it is helpful to familiarize yourself with this tradition and to identify which parts of your workplace need help the most.
So what is Feng Shui? How did it came to be? and How can it improve your workplace?
The History of Feng Shui
Feng shui is an ancient science and art which was developed more than 3,000 years ago in China; it is an extremely old tradition. It is based on the Taoist understanding of nature and the belief that “Chi” (energy) exists in every object. So, we can understand feng shui as some sort of energy work that directs positive energy in a certain space and helps it get more powerful and harmonious.
The word “Feng” means wind and “Shui” water. In the Chinese culture, people associate wind and water with good health and fortune and, therefore, good feng shui would mean good fortune.
What the ancient feng shui masters believed is that there is no separation between us and our surroundings. We are connected to the spaces we inhabit. So, if we want to stay healthy, happy, and successful, our space has to support us. This includes your workspace as well.
Once you feng shui your office, everything will flow easily and the energy you are surrounded by will nourish you, support you, and make you more productive.
This articl will provide you with some feng shui basics for achieving peace and happiness in your home and workplace.
How Does Feng Shui Work?
According to Feng Shui Master, Marie Diamond, the way that Feng Shui works is very simple. In order to create energy that supports your goals and intention, you need to make changes in your space based on your needs and desires. Marie has created her own app that helps people understand feng shui better and also to redecorate their space properly according to their personal needs.
Here is a quick video of the lovely Marie Diamond explaining how to use feng shui to tap into your life force energy (chi):
Marie Diamond’s Feng Shui Tips
Besides creating an app that can help you feng shui your office and home, Marie has been kind enough to share some of her best feng shui tips:
- Everyone has an ideal direction that is based on their gender and birthday.
- Marie’s app can point out your ideal directions for health, relationships, wisdom, and success.
- You should always be able to see the door. It would be ideal if you could face the door and your direction.
- You should place decorations according to their directions. For example, if you want to improve your relationships at work and your personal direction for the relationship (which you can find out using Marie’s app) is North West, you can place the pictures of management or your team in the direction of North West.
- If you want to improve your health, you can keep the area clean or place certain stress relieving objects.
- To boost wisdom, you can place motivational quotes or religious figures at your workplace.
- To enhance your success, place vision boards or affirmations in your success direction.
- Marie advises making sure that each object you place should resonate with what you want. For example, placing a picture of a single male lion in the relationship direction of your bedroom will certainly not help you attract a romantic partner. Placing something that inspires intimacy would be much better.
How to Feng Shui Your Office?
When you learn how to apply it properly, feng shui will bring energy to your office and boost your productivity, inspiration, discipline, and creativity. Applying feng shui in an office is just as important as applying it in your home, because we spend many hours at work.
If you have been neglecting your workspace for some time now, here are some tips that will help you restore positive chi in your office.
1. Clear Clutter and Organize Your Stuff
The most important thing you should to do when creating a feng shui office is to get rid of clutter. Unnecessary items only take up space and have a negative effect on your mental and physical well-being. A clear and organized office desk will increase your efficiency and productivity, improve focus, reduce stress and create an opportunity for new ideas to flourish.
When organizing your stuff, keep the things that you use daily within arm’s reach. Clear all the papers at least once a week. Don’t overcrowd your shelves and drawers. To keep your desk clear, and without investing too much effort, try throwing all trash away at the end of the day.
2. Buy an Air Purifying Plant
Believe it or not, indoor pollution can be worse than outdoor pollution. Not only does indoor pollution restrict your productivity, but can also lead to respiratory diseases. Removing air pollutants is one of the important feng shui principles and can be achieved simply by buying an air-purifying plant.
Air-purifying plants will not only help you decorate your office space but also improve the quality of the air. According to a research by NASA, some of the best plants for air purification are Areca Palm, Lady Palm, Bamboo Palm, Rubber Plant and Peace Lilly.
3. Choose Suitable Feng Shui Colors
Bringing feng shui colors to your office space can have a remarkable impact on your well-being. Each feng shui element (wood, fire, earth, metal, water) is represented by a specific color and using these colors in your space can bring more energy and harmony.
Soft yellow, pale orange, pale green and blue-green are always appropriate feng shui colors in office. Blue supports the energy of career growth. Adding white will increase creativity and mental focus. Bright yellow color will stimulate the feeling of happiness. Earth tones will bring harmony and stabilize your office, but they won’t stimulate your mind.
4. Use Appropriate Decorations
Every object in your space has an influence on you. To create feng shui office space, make sure to surround yourself with objects and images that will keep you inspired. Add flowers, images, and any other decorations to make your space more beautiful and to have the objects keep you inspired and productive.
When choosing decorations for your office space, remember Marie Diamond’s advice – every object should symbolize your own goals, desires, and ambitions. You can hang motivating quotes, images that remind you of your accomplishment, or accessories that remind you of prosperity and success. Infusing your office with your personality will doubtlessly foster success and personal growth.
5. Add Stress Relievers
Unfortunately, no matter how well you organize your office, there is always a possibility that something will stress you out. To keep stress to a minimum you can choose furniture that has rounded corners. Try to reposition your desk to avoid harsh lighting since it can cause irritability. Adding music, mist with essential oils, or running water in your workplace can also help you reduce stress levels.
There are also many more easy feng shui tips that can help you restore harmony and balance in your office. Make sure to check them out!
Feng Shui Tips for Productivity
After you have created feng shui environment in your office, here are some other tips you can use to keep your productivity high:
- Sit with your back against the wall. By doing so you will find yourself less distracted since there won’t be any noise that will make you constantly turn around to see what is going on.
- Keep your work area bright by taking advantage of natural sunlight or by using cool white light bulbs.
- Keep your windows open whenever you can. Fresh air is one of the feng shui treasures.
- Organize your papers, files, and wires.
- Keep your desk organized, as well as your desktop.
- Avoid having beams or low-hanging furniture above your head since it can create feelings of anxiety and pressure.
- Place photos of your loved ones.
- Don’t flood your space with decorations and artwork.
- Don’t have your desk face a window since our eyes are unknowingly distracted by everything that comes into our visual field.
If you are willing to achieve even more positive changes from incorporating feng shui in your life, think about applying the feng shui bagua map in your office and home as well.
Feng shui can help you not only feel better about your workspace but it can also improve your productivity, creativity, and make you more successful. Incorporating these tips will help you create a feng shui office. Even though you might not be able to apply all of these tips in your office, try starting with small changes. Eventually, they will add up and you will be surprised to see how even minor changes can help you accomplish more in one day.
What do you think about using feng shui in the workplace? Are there some other feng shui practices that could make you feel more productive and relaxed? Let us know in the comments below!