Watch this 5-minute video and explore the actual reasons behind our career choices. Keep it in mind while job hunting or interviewing your next candidate.
About The Video
We all want to make the right decisions when it comes to our career.
So how can we make sure that we’re choosing the best company for us or the best applicant for the company?
We have to start by figuring out the key factors that draw us to a job. Often, we think we choose our jobs for success, stability or money.
But that’s only partially true.
Those reasons (success, stability, and money) don’t fully capture the pattern I saw after interviewing people for the various companies I run. Somewhere around the 1000th interview, I noticed that every person had 4 distinct motivations in seeking a job. (Check out this video to hear what they are.)
And that’s why I created The Career Quadrant, which diagrams these 4 motivations. I developed it to help me during my hiring decisions, but it can also help you.
The Career Quadrant can help you in two ways:
- If you’re an entrepreneur or hiring for a company, it’ll help you find the right people to bring in.
- If you’re an employee, it’ll help you find the right company to join.
Watch this video to discover:
- (00:44) — Why success, stability, and money don’t fully capture the true reasons for seeking a career path;
- (01:09) — The four distinct motivations that I ask applicants during job interviews so I can understand what they are truly looking for in a job, and what matters most to them;
- (01:55) — The Career Quadrant Exercise: a simple and effective mental map to uncover the 4 distinct motivations that I use to evaluate whether or not a job candidate is a good fit;
- (03:43) — Why we are not bound to one specific quadrant – and how most of us have our own mental map of what matters to us;
- (05:22) — How to differentiate between the factors society tells us we must care about, and what truly motivates us at the most basic level.
Learn new ways of enhancing your mind, body, performance, and relationships from the world’s best teachers in personal growth. Subscribe to the Mindvalley Youtube Channel.
Did you take The Career Quadrant exercise? Share with us how you are consciously making a change to your career in the comments below.