In this A-Fest Talk, Mindvalley founder and New York Times bestselling author of The Code of the Extraordinary Mind, Vishen Lakhiani explores what creates an extraordinary life.
He shares studies, anecdotes, and models that can empower you to rewrite the rules of success based on your values.
What Does Success Mean To You?
We so often strive for an unrealistic, cookie-cutter definition of success: a big house, nice car, family, and status symbols that differentiate us from the Joneses.
But where are we getting these ideas of “success” from? And how have they become so far removed from what truly matters to us?
In this talk filmed at A-Fest, Mindvalley founder, Vishen Lakhiani, explains his alternative model of success: a life based on mission, meaning, and discovering your true calling… instead of blindly following the will of society or even our parents.
Here, he shares 5 fundamental ideas for finding your purpose. He also shares how to dream big and learn from the number one mistake we all make.
The Video Highlights
Check out the video above to discover Vishen’s alternative model of success, and see if this new way of thinking resonates with you.
- (2:00) — The mistakes he made in his pursuit of achieving “success” in the eyes of society, and how he managed to rewrite the rules of success for himself;
- (5:54) — Why the majority of people spend most of their waking hours on goals that give us no meaning, and how we can find the courage to walk away from this.
- (11:00) — What extraordinary people like Elon Musk focus on their mission instead of focusing on a career, and how this leaves us feeling more fulfilled and the world a better place;
- (20:00) — Why you shouldn’t ask yourself or your kids what do you want to be, and the one question you should ask instead;
- (22:35) — Why we need to stop distinguishing between entrepreneurs and employees, and the difference between humanity minus and humanity plus companies;
- (29:00) — And why it’s okay to jump between jobs and take time to experiment to find out what matters to you, and a model that can help you find meaningful work that you enjoy.
How To Transform The Culturescape
We’ve inherited many of the ideas we have about careers and time from previous generations. They come from a culturescape that tries to condition us abiding limiting rules. Their approaches are out of date.
But they don’t have to be…
Vishen Lakhiani shares how the most successful people in the world manage to break free from their limiting beliefs. And in this talk, he shares some of the advice he’s gathered from the world’s greatest minds, including CEOs like Elon Musk and new entrepreneurs.
These strategies will empower you to rewrite your own rules of success.
You’ll discover how to permanently fix any problems in your life, and seemingly “bend” reality to your will and desires.
What is your definition of “success?” How did Vishen’s talk affect you? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.